23: Everything Has Changed

Start from the beginning

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to unite Queen Elsa, of the North Mountain, and Hades, Lord of the Underworld." FG glances at them to make sure it was okay. Dad just nods and grins. 

As Fairy Godmother continues, Brit (who is on my left) taps my shoulder. "I hope one day somebody will look at me like your dad is looking at your mom." She whispers, an almost dream-like quality in her voice. I risk glancing at her and I'm surprised to find that Brit isn't really smiling. It's one of those smiles that reaches your eyes, and not your lips. The kind that doesn't hurt your face, but just shows all over your expression. 

I turn back to my parents, who are facing one another as FG recites the normal "Do you" question. 

"Don't worry, Brit." I murmur back. "You will."

I risk a glance behind me a bit, and find Carlos a few rows back, sitting with Mal, Evie, and Jay. He notices me watching, and waves a bit. I smile and turn back to my parents, but something in my mind nags at me. I've been dating Carlos for nearly two years now. More like a year and a half, I think, but whatever. I'm around the same age my Aunt Anna was when she met Kristoff. And anyone can tell they absolutely adore one another, just like with my parents. 

I snap myself out of it. This is my parent's moment, not mine. 

I pay closer attention now, knowing that coming close is the time when my parents will say vows. I know not every wedding does that sort of thing, but my dad spent at least half of the months leading up to this trying to find the perfect words. He actually confided in me a few times, asking if this sounded dumb or that sounded too weird. I thought all of it sounded perfect, but it depends on mom's opinion, not mine. 

Mom came to me as well, but she wasn't stressed over it. She actually told me that the perfect words, in her opinion, come most when the author isn't thinking too hard. Our brains sometimes drown out our hearts, and our hearts are who we are, not our minds, Mom told me. Our hearts are what hold our emotions, and crazy dreams, and hopes. Our minds is where it sometimes kills the dreams with harsh reality. 

Although, right now I'm watching the Snow Queen and the god of the dead getting married. Reality, shmeality. 

FG smiles at my dad, gesturing him to go first. I half-expected him to take out a piece of paper, but he just faces my mom with a broad grin. 

"Elsa, when I met you, I won't deny that my first thought was getting off of the Isle. Had it been anyone but you, that's probably all that would have happened. But because it was you, everything changed. You made me want to be good, want to do the most  insane things, like saying thank you, or please."

Mom kind of chuckles, and Dad seems to brighten with that.

"I know that when I first asked you out, nobody approved. I was thrilled when you didn't care nobody liked it, and I think I really started loving you after watching you laugh so hard at me when I tried sugar for the first time."

Mom's eyes sparkle, probably flashing back to whatever memory Dad is referencing. 

"But even when I thought it wasn't possible to love someone even more, we had our daughter." Both he and Mom glance over to me, and I grin. "I hated all the years away from both of you, but I'm promising right now, Elsa, that whatever forces try to come between us, if it ever happens again, nothing will separate me from the one woman I'll always love with all my heart."

Mom's smile seems to glow, her eyes wet with tears. She chokes a little, smiling wider when Dad laughs  a little at her. "I should've gone first." She finally says. "I can't compete with that."

"I'm sure you can." Dad promises. 

Mom takes his hand, holding it gently. "Well, like you said... when I went to the Isle all those years ago, I only planned on taking someone I could trust. I knew you might try to run, might try to betray me, but something in my gut told me to trust you. So I did, and I've never once regretted that choice. I told myself multiple times I shouldn't even befriend you, but I couldn't stop myself, and when I fell for you at that donut shop on our first date, I knew I'd never be able to stop. I know you had to leave, but when you came back... it was like nothing ever changed. I love you, Hade, and I can double your promise with mine: I'll never leave you. No matter what anybody says, or does.