10. Beginning of a forever

Start from the beginning

"No worries. I know it already. My name is Akshita." I smiled at both of them and they started doing my makeup. I sneezed a few times in between, they both looked more worried than my own family. I scoffed. Family!

I just hoped that my illness won't affect my marriage because I couldn't wait for any more to leave this house.

************************************

Ashish

The sangeet ceremony was sheer madness, everyone was going crazy with all the singing and dancing. We arranged a karaoke theme party in our garden and everyone sang their hearts out. We were all laughing madly at some of our relatives' funny performances.

I hooted like crazy when both my amazing sisters, Khushi and Swasti danced so gracefully in front of everyone. Honestly, Khushi's performance was more like a surprise because I didn't expect that she will agree to perform in front of everyone. But the fact cannot be denied that since the beginning of my marriage, she has been the most excited one. She has done every arrangement alongside our father and uncles.

"You guys were brilliant." I hugged both Khushi and Swasti after their performance ended. It was the last performance for the evening since we all were really tired. I just wanted to crawl into my bed and sleep like a child.

I wondered if Akshita was enjoying or not, her family was also having small functions like us since there was not much time to arrange for lavish events. Akshita and I stopped sneaking out just a day ago. I made a rebel out of Akshita, the thought made me laugh.

Deciding to not call Akshita because she might be tired too, I slept within a few seconds after hitting the bed. I felt someone poking at my face in my sleep.

"Wake up. Wake up. It's eight. Nanak Shak ( groom offers prayers with his maternal uncle and his maternal uncle gives him gifts or money) ceremony and your haldi ritual are in an hour. Bhaiiii!!!!" Swasti yelled still poking my arms. So annoying, ugh!

"Stop shrieking in my ear, Swasti," I yelled at her, still not opening my eyes.

"Then wake up." She shouted in my ear again.

"Ugh, I am up, I am up, don't yell," I growled at her and she left my room laughing evilly. Monster!

I did my morning routine and showered, getting ready within a few minutes. I would have to take a bath again after my haldi, that terrible yellow thing which will stick to my body. Eww! I shook my head at the horrible thought and went to eat breakfast before everyone coloured me yellow.

After breakfast, I performed the prayer for Nanak shak with my maternal uncle. We were done within half an hour after which my friends and cousins gave me wicked looks. They knew my annoyance for sticky things and now they were all gonna enjoy torturing me.

Even for such a short time, the setup for the ceremony was beautiful

Even for such a short time, the setup for the ceremony was beautiful. We hired an event planner for these functions because in the words of my mother, these functions will only happen once for me and she wanted it to be perfect. So I agreed. The setup for the function was in our garden, the whole theme was yellow and white to symbolise the significance of Haldi. My mother set out the plate containing banna (sort of a beauty paste made with turmeric and other things), mustard oil, rice powder and vermilion in front of me.