10. Beginning of a forever

Start from the beginning

After sitting on my bed for some time, gathering some leftover energy in me, I walked to the washroom, feeling weak all over. I looked at myself in the mirror to see sweat coating my face and my nose red. Hoping that someone might be awake to take me to the doctor's, I went outside after brushing my teeth and washing my face. My father was sitting in the hall with one of my uncles, sipping his morning tea.

"What did you do now?" He questioned as I kept sneezing every few seconds.

"Nothing," I said holding the table for support.

"It's your marriage today and you look like this. How did you catch a cold?"

"I am sorry, I don't know what happened. Can you please take me to the doc..." He cut me mid-sentence.

"Take an antibiotic pill from the kitchen drawer, I don't want any problems today." He scolded me and continued with whatever he was doing.

"Yes. I will just take it." I said weakly. My voice was hoarse because my throat felt sore and itchy. I went to the kitchen and in one of the drawers, I found a medical box. I took a pill from it and went back to my room walking at a snail's speed. I had little to no energy in my body.

Even after a few hours, I was still not feeling well, the tablet didn't do any good to me. It was almost mid-day and no one asked me to come for the haldi ceremony yet. I was getting impatient so I went into the hall to check if it was ready or not but there was no one there. I spotted a servant and asked her about the whereabouts of everyone.

"Ladies has gone to the parlour, madam. Your mother asked me to inform you that if she doesn't come in time, you need to start getting ready with the help of two stylists who will come in the evening." My face fell hearing her words. So there was no ceremony after all.

"My father and everyone else?" I asked.

"Madam, they might be in the room or outside. I didn't see." She replied and left. I nodded and cried after going to my room. My parents couldn't bother to treat me good on my last day in the house. How could they be so cruel and heartless to their child?

I felt dejected but I wanted to complete the ritual so wiping my eyes, I went to the kitchen and prepared everything which was required for the haldi ceremony consulting a YouTube video. I took the bowl inside my room and applied it just the way the video suggested. While I was applying the haldi, my tears wouldn't stop. I was so unlucky to have a family who didn't love me at all.

After I was done applying haldi, I went to the washroom to take a bath. After completely washing off my body, I went outside and saw my mother sitting on the bed. She was looking thoroughly refreshed and her hair and makeup for the night was already done.

"Oh, there you are. What took you so long in the washroom? I have been waiting here for 15 minutes."

"I was taking a bath," I replied in a hoarse voice. She didn't even bother to ask if I was feeling well or not.

"You look rather dull today. Anyway, the beautician is here for getting you ready. All of us got our makeup and hair done at the parlour. Rest everything will be done at home. Your makeup will take time so we are going to start now."

"Okay." She called the beauticians and the same ladies who did my makeup on engagement came. They smiled at me and placed the makeup bags on the table. Thankfully, my mother left after the ladies got settled.

"Okay, mam. Don't worry. This time we will do your best makeup because your mother won't be here to interrupt." One girl said excitedly. The other one nudged her with the elbow.

"Uh, yeah sorry. My name is Aditi and this is Seema. We couldn't introduce ourselves last time. Sorry to say but your mother is a bit intimidating." She said hesitantly.