7. Giovanni

Sara turns to Zatanna.

"Your father did that?"

"I sensed his magic."

Sara pulls out her dagger and points it at Zatanna. "You're working for her?"

"No! I don't understand. My father said demon in our mind link. Your friend is not a demon. This doesn't make sense."

"She's a powerful figure whose title is Head of the Demon or the Demon's Head. Perhaps that's what you heard. Why is your father working for the League?"

Zatanna stares deep in thought. "I have no idea. He is a good man. I don't understand. He blocked my magic from his. Something is wrong with him, Sara. Something must have corrupted him or something, because that can't have been him."

Sara lowers her dagger. "Ok, we'll figure this out together, Zatanna. Look on the bright side. We know where your father is and our problems intertwine so we can work together on this. Can you teleport back to where you just were?"

"No. My dad blocked me out for some reason."

"Are you sure your dad wouldn't be helping Nyssa?"

"Yes. I know my father well. He has to be doing this for a reason. Perhaps he is being blackmailed somehow."

"What could Nyssa have that your father would want?"

"I have no idea."

"Well, we need to think of a plan to get in there."

Just then, Sara and the baby disappear suddenly. Sara is teleported into a cell in the League stronghold. Nyssa stands outside of the bars looking in with Damian in her arms.

"You thought you could interfere without consequence?" Nyssa says.

Sara feels a bit queasy from the teleportation, but she brushes it off.

"Nyssa, please."

"You should have walked away, Yellow Bird. Your arrogance has not gone unnoticed," she says sternly. "So, you have a sorcerer now? Unfortunate for you that you ended up with the wrong Zatara. Giovanni is one of the most powerful of his kind and you only have his inexperienced daughter. Do not even try to escape. This cell is magic-proof and canary-proof."

Nyssa turns to Giovanni, who stands just behind her. "You've done well. Now go and continue your search."

He gazes at Sara for a moment then teleports away.

"What have you done to make him follow your command?" Sara asks suspiciously.

"You are to stop asking questions immediately. I will be back for you later. My son takes priority," she says as she turns to walk away.

"Nyssa!" Sara shouts as Nyssa exits.

Sara immediately scans for weaknesses in the cell. Then, the silence is broken by a voice from down the corridor.

"Sara?"

Sara takes a moment to realize who it is.

"Thea? You're alive. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. But Roy...he's in the cell next to me and he's hasn't responded to me for a few hours."

"Don't worry, Thea. He's probably sleeping."

"I hope so. Nyssa doesn't seem to care that we're dying in here. She barely feeds us."

"Look, I'm gonna get us out of here and I'm going to help Nyssa get better, alright? The Legends and Zatanna will think of something."