5. The Heir

Nyssa is training with some new League initiates. Her bloodlust has taken a toll on the other members. In her anger, she has killed dozens of them for minor or non-existent reasons.

The training is interrupted by one of Nyssa's servants.

"Ra's, we need your presence in the dungeon. The Heir will be arriving soon."

Nyssa smiles softly. "My sister is in labor?"

"Yes. You said that you'd like to be there for the birth."

"Indeed," she says as she turns to the initiates. "Shiva can carry on with the training. I shall return."

Nyssa walks with the servant following close behind.

"How many centimeters?" Nyssa asks.

"The midwife said she was 9 centimeters when I left, my liege," he says.

"Everything is going to plan?"

"Yes."

They arrive at Talia's cell where she is chained in a cot in birthing position with two midwives and 6 guards in the room with her.

Talia is chained down and slightly drugged because of her previous attempts to escape and abort the fetus.

Talia has been dreading this moment. She knows that Nyssa will take her child from her and leave her to rot.

Talia was planning to be the next Head before Nyssa ascended. She had gotten herself pregnant by "someone worthy of her womb" so that she had an Heir. She refuses to tell Nyssa who the father is, but Nyssa doesn't mind much as long as this mystery man doesn't interfere. Talia admitted that the father doesn't even know he's a father...or even that he had sex with her. If Nyssa was in her right mind, she would've tortured Talia for raping someone, but alas, Nyssa has become lenient on the subject and focuses on other matters.

Nyssa watches intensely as the midwives assist Talia. Although she doesn't show it, she is excited to have a child. She's excited to bring up the next Heir to the Demon.

"Ten centimeters. Talia, it is time for you to push," one of the midwives say.

Talia just glares at Nyssa. "Make me."

Nyssa knows that her sister is just trying provoke her. "You cannot keep my child in there forever."

"Stop calling it yours. Just because you are a homosexual that refuses to have children of your own, doesn't entitle you take to mine from me."

"My sexual orientation has nothing to do with this. This is just convenience at its finest. This child is basically falling into my lap so why not take it?"

"It is not yours to take."

Nyssa unsheathes a small blade and places it on her throat. "You will push, or I will cut it out of you. I was planning on keeping you alive for the milk, but it is not a necessity," she growls.

"You won't kill your own blood. What if something were to happen to the Heir? You won't have anyone to make a new one for you."

"That does not worry me, sister. Nothing will happen it. Not under my care. Now, I will not command again. Push," says still holding the knife to her neck.

"No."

Nyssa removes the knife and hands it to one of the midwives. "Do you know how to perform a cesarean section?"

They shake their heads no.

"Useless. I will do it myself."

"Your Highness. I do not recommend that."

"I do not care if Talia dies."

"Ra's, the baby will come regardless of if she pushes or not. We must give it time. She is only trying to anger you."

"Yes. Of course." Nyssa sheaths her knife.

"Would you advise against giving her a sedative?"

"No. That would not harm the child."

"Actually. On second thought, keep her awake. She will watch as I take my child from her."

Talia clenches her jaw. She bares the pain that the baby is giving her.

Nyssa strokes her sister's hair behind her ear. "You don't need to worry. You know I will take good care of it."

Talia jerks her face away from Nyssa's hand and continues to clench her jaw.

The midwife looks between Talia's legs. "It is coming. I see the head."

Nyssa walks over behind the midwife and watches with anticipation. The midwife helps the baby exit safely, while Talia averts her eyes away from everyone. The baby cries as it gasps it's first breath of air.

Nyssa catches sight of the baby's genitalia. "A boy," she whispers to herself.

The midwives clean him off, cut the umbilical cord, and hands him to Nyssa. The baby stops crying as he is cradled in her arms. For a moment, Nyssa feels for this baby, but swiftly pushes the feeling away.

"All hail the Heir to the Demon," Nyssa says.

"All hail the Heir to the Demon," everyone except Talia chants in unison.

The midwife cleans Talia. "What shall his name be?" she asks.

Nyssa was thrown off by this question, because she never contemplated a name for her son. "I will think of one soon. For now, he is just the Heir."

"Yes, Ra's. Have you decided if you'd like him to breastfeed?"

Nyssa looks at Talia, who is still looking away in anger.

"Keep her chained. She isn't allowed to hold him, but he will drink from her under my supervision,"

"As you wish."

They help sit Talia up in her weakened state and undo her top gown. They hold the baby to her breast and he drinks. Talia continues to look away. He drinks for a minute or so.

"Alright. That is enough. Give him to me," Nyssa commands.

They pry him away and hand him to Nyssa. She walks away with him and heads back up to where the initiates are training. As she enters. Everyone stops their training and bows to her.

"All hail the Heir to the Demon," Nyssa chants.

"All hail the Heir to the Demon!" they all chant back.

Shiva walks up to Nyssa. "He is a fine specimen, Ra's."

"Yes, I know."

"Your plans are all falling into place."

"Indeed they are."

"What have you named him?"

"He hasn't got a name yet. Perhaps you can help me think of one for him."

"I would be honored."