Part Ten

I parked the car on the hill that surrounded the lighthouse. The moon was aglow and Daniel's head was resting on my shoulder. I shivered. I still had my bikini on with a singlet dress over it. I had the windows down. We could hear the waves crashing onto the shore below us.

"A lighthouse is a delightful machine."

He spoke so softly I could barely hear him. I focused on listening.

"Why do you think that?" I asked.

He sat up and shoved his tangled hair behind his ears. "Because they're simple. They serve one purpose. To bring those that are lost back home."

I only heard my heartbeat and the waves.

"I hope I'm something like that to you, Cindy."

I sat up and nodded my head.

"You are, Daniel. You really are."

He put his head down and scratched his nose. "Yeah. You still love Rex, too. I'm not blind."

Daniel was listening to what I told Rex in the hallway. After Rex found me sleeping next to my naked Synthetic.

I put my hands on the steering wheel. "I had to say that, and I do love him. In a different way."

"When you first brought me here, you talked so much. I had to take so much in. I was worried I was not intelligent enough for you," he said.

I swept a strand of his hair out of his face because it had fallen astray.

"Then you scared me. I thought I would have to contact emergency services." He looked in my eyes. "Don't scare me again like that," he insisted. 

I swallowed hard and closed my eyes. I did not want to cry during our time together.

"I'm sorry, Daniel. I ordered you at a bad time in my life. The worst. If it weren't for you, I don't think I'd be here."

Just when I thought he was about to discuss that night further, a lighter emotion passed over his face just as the lantern passed us overhead.

"If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here either," he whispered.

I shivered again, and he pressed his body onto mine. He slid his hand underneath my singlet dress and pulled on the string of my bikini.

They all said Synthetics knew exactly what you wanted. Exactly what you needed. Unlike humans, though, they were never afraid to give it. 

💙💙🎸💙💙

Short and sweet ;)

tysm 4 reading
xx