6. Murky waters

"Hey, I overheard some old lady moaning about some rowdy, out-of-control teenagers. I had to check it out for myself. I knew it would be you guys."

Alec! My heart rate picked up, and I relaxed my shoulders. I wouldn't be alone for much longer.

Aiden offered him a drink from the cooler, but he declined.

"Can't, mate! Have to drive the brats home in a bit," He slid his sunglasses onto the top of his head, pushing his unruly mop of hair away.

"I thought you couldn't come out to play, Alec?" I asked, beaming up at him.

"They abandoned me. They wanted a day at the lake but disappeared when they saw their friends. So much for a forced sibling day. I was just the chauffeur. I've been sitting on the other side of the lake for ages. Thank god you guys are here." Alec glanced at the water for a second. "Hey, Nattie? Is this another lake trip you didn't invite me to?" He teased, not taking his eyes off me.

"Maybe, but you're here now so stop complaining." I shuffled over and patted the space beside me on the floor. Instead of joining us, he held out his hand for me to take.

"Come for a swim with me, Nattie. I've had no one to join me until now."

"You scared to go in on your own?" I laughed.

Alec gave a sideways glance and grinned. "Never. Not me."

I grabbed his hand so he could help me up, still clutching on to the towel that was covering my body.

"Don't be fooled. Water's freezing. I'm not sure I want to go back in," I warned as we stepped away from the group.

"Come on! Your hair's still wet. Let's go in before you warm up again," he begged as he twisted a strand of my damp hair around his finger.

"What about everyone else?" I whispered.

"So? They can go in if they want. I want you to come with me."

"We see how it is, Hart! Nat comes home and we're not good enough," James joked.

The scowl on Alec's face at James' comment had all the boys laughing. All of them except Max.

They meant nothing by it. They knew very well that Alec and I were merely friends, the best of friends even. It was normal for us to do stuff alone.

He led me further away from them so we could no longer hear their teasing.

Without a word, Alec tugged the vest he was wearing off. The navy blue top not leaving much to the imagination, the fabric pulled taut against his chest muscles. With it off, I had to avert my gaze. Staring at his body with the desire to touch him was starting to feel uncomfortable. I had to keep reminding myself he was just my friend, Sian's words from this morning still ringing in my ears.

My towel fell to the floor, exposing my bright purple bikini. Alec's deep green eyes glinted off the summer rays and fixed on mine. My knees crumbled under his gaze, and it all became too much when he smiled, making his trademark dimples appear. He placed his hand in mine, his warm touch sparking a foreign ache in my chest.

Our toes brushed the cool water as he guided me into the lake.

After walking a few feet, Alec ran, pulling me behind him, until we were submerged to our waists.

"Oh, you're right! That's cold," Alec cried out.

"Told ya so!" I laughed. The sudden freshness was as much a shock as it was the first time.

We both crouched down so our bodies were below the surface, leaving only our heads above the water. Alec came as close as possible and wrapped his arms around me. "Keep me warm, Nattie."