Chapter 12

It was a long few days before Wright was admitted out of the hospital, but his return was all I had waited for forever. I was waiting in the lobby when he hobbled out, still weak.

I felt emotions hit me like a truck. He looked so fragile, but he was finally out. He wore a plain t-shirt, black pants, and some loafers that the hospital loaned to him. I had his suit in a bag, washed and ready for him when he got home. But for now, I'd wait.

All my emotions spilled out as I embraced him as tight as I could with hurting him. "You idiot." I muttered, trying not to cry. He rubbed my back slowly, sighing. I finally let go and lead him to a car out front, seeing him brighten up.

It was a bright red sports car, Edgeworth's. You'd never think a guy like him would care so much about his car, but looks can be deceiving.

Phoenix took shotgun and I sat in the back, placing the bag next to me. Edgeworth looked at Wright with a grumble, disapproving. "I forgot you had arms under that suit of yours." He noted, starting up the car, "You've been in better shape..."

That was true, Nick had lost a bit weight in the hospital, becoming a little thinner. It was hardly noticable, but it still worried me. He was still bruised in some places, was bandaged on his chest (though you couldnt see it under his shirt), and had stitches on his knuckles from when he had tried to fight back and had busted them on one of the thugs.

I shuddered, suppressing the memory. Now that I thought about it, since we'd properly met, Phoenix had gotten badly injured twice. Maybe I should limit the time I spend with him, I have a knack for getting him hurt...

"So what've you been doing while I was in there?" Nick leaned back, far too relaxed and easygoing for someone in his condition.

"Hmm? Oh. Well, I've won two trials. One was drug abuse, the other was a mixed case of assault and 3rd degree murder." I tensed up. The last one had been hard to win, there was hardly enough evidence to win, "Maya went back to her home for a family emergency."

Phoenix flinched at the mention of Maya. 'Poor guy, he's scared of meeting her again, huh?' I thought,  sympathetic. It wasn't anyone's fault, but they both blamed themselves.

"Well, good job on the cases. Anything for me to get on when we get back?" He asked.

I tittered, shaking my head. "You, sir, are going to rest." I folded my arms. He groaned, giving me an annoyed glance. "Just like you did?" He raised a spiked brow.

I ignored his remark. "I'll handle paperwork and trials until you are fully recovered."

"Come on, Y/N, be reasonable. I've been in there so long!" He complained, but I just shook my head again. "No means no, Wright." I said definitively.

"Can you two stop bickering like children and get out of my car?" Miles piped up, sounding annoyed. I hadn't realized we'd already arrived at Phoenix's apartment. I lived within walking distance, so I didn't need the car anymore.

I tossed him the bag, and started to walk away, but he caught my arm. Turning to face him, I gave him a questioning look. He realized what he did and let go quickly, his cheeks turning a lovely shade of pink.

"Hey, uh, do you, err.." He struggled to find the words he needed, "Rather, would you like to come in? To my place, that is."

I smiled softly. "Of course, Nick. Do you need something? Or are you just lonely?"

He looked away, rubbing his neck. "Lonely, I guess. Maya is gone, Mia has... Ahem... passed... And Larry is out spending for his new girlfriend, so I'll be alone for tonight."

I followed him through the building until he stopped at a door, fumbling to unlock it. 'Why is he acting so embarrassed...?' I thought, giggling softly as he nearly dropped his key.

He finally opened up the door and let me in first. It was pretty average as apartments go, ignoring his bookshelf of nothing but lawyer tips and tricks and the pictures from his childhood.

Something caught my eye and I walked over to a picture, picking it up. "Who're these kids?." I asked, my heart racing when Wright walked up and looked over my shoulder, far too close for comfort.

"Oh, that? That's a picture from my fourth grade class." He pointed at each individual kid and saying their names, "...And the last three there, over in the corner, are Larry, Miles, and I. We were good buds in school, or at least Larry and I were. Miles transferred the very next year."

I stopped, my brain struggling to comprehend what he just said. "Pardon? Miles as in Miles Edgeworth? Your rival?" I looked at him incredulously.

"Yeah, Edgeworth. It was a shock to me, too, when I found out he'd be the prosecutor in my second case." He sighed, moving away. I allowed myself to breathe again, putting down the picture.

I looked around again, trying to keep my eyes from wandering to Wright. "How long has you lived here?" I asked, glancing at him.

"I moved in this apartment a few years ago, but I've lived in this general area for as long as I could remember." He answered, meeting my gaze momentarily.

I could feel his eyes burn into the back of my head while I wandered about. He finally invited my to relax on the sofa and watch something, so I gladly accepted. We ended up watching Law Romance for the rest of the night.