Chapter 9

I shut my door behind me, sliding the floor. Everything was wrong. My heart was racing, my hands were clammy, and I felt like the world was a merry-go-round. What was this feeling?

I stood dizzily, walking over to my freezer. My face felt hot, so I assumed I was just sick. I grabbed an ice pack and pressed it against my neck, the cold relief soothing me. I had made it to my sofa when I heard my phone ring.

Still holding the ice to my neck, I picked up the phone. "Hello, Y/N here." I answered.

"Y/N, look... I'm sorry, I just can't help but be worried." Phoenix said quietly, "You seem so stressed, so I'll let you off work for a couple of days, okay? Just to rest."

I started to protest, but he hushed me. "No buts, I need you in top condition. And for that you need time to recover." And he quickly hung up before I could say anything.

I felt my face get hotter and my heart raced faster, so loud I heard it thumping in my ears. Then it hit me.

"No no no!" I started to talk to myself, "This can't be. I'm just running a fever, that's all. This couldn't be..." I managed to convince myself that I was just sick, and dragged my legs over to my bed.

I got changed into my nightgown and flopped down onto my mattress, Phoenix still running through my mind. My feelings weren't strong, but I felt it could change, which scared me.

That blue-clad, spiky-haired, (honestly kinda hot), doofus would never return these emotions, and I knew it. I'd just have to fake it til the crush passed.

But even as I started to fall asleep, I wished he would.