Chapter 10

I sat in my hotel room, feeling useless. I just wanted Phoenix to let me work, but when I had gone over to, he had pushed me away. It aggravated me beyond reason.

It had been two days since the call, and I had mainly watched T.V. (mostly law dramas) the whole time, which clearly isn't healthy.

"Recent murder of Jack Hammer to be taken up by upstart defense attorney Phoenix Wright...?" I glanced at the television, snatching up my phone and dialing. As soon as he picked up I began.

"Phoenix Wright! How dare you take up a case without me!" I huffed, offended, "A murder one, no less!"

I heard him chuckle nervously. "Is there any chance I can convince you to stay at home?" He asked.

"Absolutely not, I'm coming over right now." I hung up and grabbed my purse, marching down to Wright and Co. Law Offices.

He stood in the main office, rubbing his neck guiltily. "You try and send me to recover, and what do you do? Turn around and grab a case before you can rest!" I lectured him, wagging my finger. He held his hands up slightly, trying to ward me off.

"Look, I had no choice! The suspect called me specifically and Maya insisted." He defended himself, his eyes darting around nervously. I sighed.

"Fine, but I'm coming along. Let's go, the third trial day is tomorrow, we don't have time." I crossed my arms. Maya willingly came along, practically dragging Nick.

We arrived at the Studios quickly. Everything was new to me, and I was simply awed by it. "Oh, you're back." An old security guard piped up, then glanced at me, "And you brought another whippersnapper with you, too."

I ignored the old hag, following Wright while Maya ran by everything that had happened. It was so much info that I simply stored it away without much thought.

As we approached a trailer in Studio 2, I noticed a woman standing nearby, smoking a pipe while she stared up at the clouds. Wright already had what he needed to get to her, so he wasted no time.

"Maya, go find Gumshoe and hold him off so he doesn't go arresting our new suspect." Phoenix whispered to the medium-in-training, watching her scramble off with a chuckle.

The woman we approached turned around momentarily, catching a glimpse of the photo Wright held in his hand. He lifted it up for her to see better. "Old bag. The wind is quite strong, let's go inside." The woman muttered, motioning for us to go into the trailer.

We did so, not wanting to lose any precious knowledge she might provide. As soon as the door was shut, she began. The whole story spilled, everything too detailed for me to comprehend. Something about the fact the Jack Hammers, the victim, had previously killed someone.

My head spun, unable to contain all this information. I should've actually rested, I felt exhausted already. But the next thing I knew, the woman got aggressive, demanding the photo back.

A gang of four tall men appeared, as if from thin air, and I suddenly became frightened. The last thing I heard was "Erase" before the men decended on us, cracking their knuckles.

"Don't give her the photo!" I warned, backing up next to Phoenix, "It's valuable evidence."

I felt a strong, tough hand grab me by the upper arm, yanking me away from Wright. I was held in place while the other three backed Nick up against a wall. I saw a flash of panic in his eyes, but he did well to keep it hidden.

"Get away from him, you thugs!" I ordered, trying to pull free. They didn't pay any mind. I flinched as they began to beat him to a pulp, helpless.

Nick lcrumpled on the floor, slumped and bruised all over. The door slammed open and in came Dick Gumshoe, Maya close behind. "I couldn't hold him off long-" She began before the scene truly set in, "Nick!" She cried, cupping her hands over her mouth.

Poor Phoenix wasn't a pretty sight. He was cut up everywhere, and I could only assume he'd at least get a nasty shiner and a few broken ribs if he was still alive.

I pulled back again, and this time I was let go, which sent me flying back against the wall. I slid down and examined Wright closely. 'Please be alive, don't leave me now!'

He was breathing, although shallowly,  and still had a heartbeat. Relieved, I sat next to him while Dick arrested the woman and her thugs. Maya came over, tears dripping down her cheeks.

Wright groaned and opened his eyes carefully. Overwhelmed, I watched as Maya swiftly leaned in planting a firm kiss on his lips. Shocked, he pulled away much to Maya's dismay. Her bottom lip trembled and she ran off, weeping.

I just sat there, surprised. 'It thought he loved Maya?' But he had pulled away from her advance...

Nick glanced over to me, realizing I was even there. "They... D-didn't... Hurt... You, did the...y?" He stuttered, each word drawn out and painful. I winced and shook my head. "I'm okay. Let's get you to a hospital, alright?" I soothed, standing up while some doctors picked him up and carried him into an ambulance. I stayed by him the whole ride, holding his hand tightly.