Chapter 11

Phoenix Wright lay in the hospital bed, limp and weak. "I'll be out in a few days, no worries." He reassured, grinning his goofy little grin.

"You're all beaten up, though! You won't even make it to that lady's trial..." I muttered, sitting by his bed. He said something, but I couldn't hear. I just looked at him, worry plaguing my heart.

"I'll be fine, Y/N. I already have Edgeworth covering for me." He put his hand on mine, trembling, "It's not the end of the world if I have to sit out of this trial."

One question kept bugging me, and I finally got the courage to speak up. "About Maya..." I trailed off, suddenly losing all the courage.

Phoenix blushed and looked away, removing his hand. "She's a good kid, but she exactly that; a kid." He sighed, "She deserves better anyway."

I nodded, folding my hands on my lap. "I see. She seemed so heartbroken, though..." He winced. Must've hit a bad spot. "I know, but there's nothing I can do." He grimaced.

The door behind us opened and Larry Butz half ran in, crying. "NICK, YOU GOT HUUURT!" He wept. Phoenix smiled and rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I guess I did. But it's fine, Larry. I'll be out of here soon." He tried calming his friend.

"But- but... Look at you!" Larry whimpered, grabbing Nick by the arm, which was met with a sharp gasp of pain. Larry dropped it and apologized quickly.

"Urk- uhm, it's alright, Larry. I'm just a little bruised, okay? So hands off for now." He chuckled, but his face was still wrinkled with pain.

"This is Larry Butz, right? The pal you defended on you first day?" I asked. Larry flipped his attention to me, grinning. "That's right, pretty lady! The one and only!" He proclaimed proudly.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Larry. My name is Y/N L/N, an old friend of Mia's and one of Wright's-"

"Nick, please Y/N. I can't stand when you're so formal." Phoenix sat up weakly.

"Alright. One of Nick's employees." I extended my hand, unready for the unsteady and erratic handshake I received. Dazed, I sat back down.

"Well, Nick, I actually have to go soon. I'm gonna watch the whole trial, I'll tell you how it went!" And Larry left as suddenly as he came, leaving Phoenix and I alone.

The room fell into an uncomfortable silence, Phoenix keeping his eyes closed. Assuming he was asleep, I stoop up and turned to leave, only stopped by the weak grip on my hand.

"Wait, Y/N." He begged, tugging on me gently. I turned back and sat down again, and he removed his hand, placing it on his chest.

"Phoenix, please get some rest." I muttered just loud enough for him to hear. He shook his head. "I can't. Stay with me, please. I'll get lonely." He pleaded.

I brushed the stray hair off his forehead, not used to seeing his hair messy and less spiky than usual. His eyes were clouded with pain, and he stopped hiding the agony he was in.

He dug his fingers into the white sheets, gritting his teeth as he took sharp, quivering breaths. I hated to see him like this.

"Are you sure I shouldn't get a doctor? You look like you're hurting..." I suggested, but he shook his head. "I'll be alright, it just-" He gasped quietly, "- the medicine is wearing off a little."

"That's the point, stupid." I rolled my eyes, "I'll get the doctor and you can get a new dose." I started to stand up, but he stopped me again. "Stay." He demanded.

I gave in and sat with him until the nurse came in and had me leave. As soon as I left the room, my face went red again. How I had kept composure while I was there, I have no idea. My heart pounded against my chest as I left the hospital, nearly crashing my car, I was so distracted.