Chapter 21- First Day On The Job

The very next morning I was already put to work. Though I guess you couldn't really call what I was doing working. I was basically instructed by Rafe to follow him around all day. Not that I was complaining, but it did feel slightly weird, like no matter what he did, I had to follow him.

We stayed side by side in his office, though he told me first thing that a new space would be opening up for me to have my own, as well as a third as a joint office space. The work we did together would be conducted in the joint space, which was most of the work. The separate space was in case we had any cases or anything that were for our eyes only.

The majority of the day had been spent in the office. The documents for the new pack members, including myself had to be finalized. However, since I was also one of them, I was unable to be the one to finalize anything. It was essentially the last piece of major paperwork that would be done by Rafe and Rafe alone.

I sat across from him on the other side of the desk, tipping the chair back onto its rear legs as I watched him look the paperwork over. He was staring intently at the pages, the glasses perched on his nose. I just couldn't get enough of the sight, it was absolutely adorable. I almost wished he wore the glasses more. I knew that if I said something about it he would either start wearing them more often for me, or he would take them off right there and wouldn't touch them again for a while out of embarrassment.

He sighed and sat back in his chair, pinching the bridge of his nose with his eyes tightly shut.

"Anything you need help with?" I asked. I was hoping there was at least something I could do. I had essentially been unhelpful the entire day. If I was just going to be sitting around all day, couldn't I have done it somewhere else? Well, I probably could have, but I wouldn't have learned the general workings of the office, and I got to spend the whole day with Rafe. Like I said, I couldn't really complain about that.

"Nope, it's all done finally. You wouldn't have been able to do this anyway. Your papers were filed right along with these, you weren't technically a member or Luna yet. However trust me, you can do whatever you want after this. I'll be glad not having to do all this paper work by myself anymore.

"You wouldn't have to if you didn't constantly bring in so many people or force all these changes and all these decrees of war," I mumbled.

I saw Rafe look sharply at me for a moment and I dropped the conversation. We had essentially agreed to disagree with Rafe's member and war policy for the time being. There was going to come a time when we would need to discuss that though, because I was not going to be part of a pack who constantly invaded and destroyed smaller packs just because we could or just because they looked at us funny.

People, packs, they weren't just something that could be destroyed, moved around, and changed like he had been doing. It may have worked for him in the past, but it wasn't right and I was going to show him that. I had already made up my mind about that.

"Come on, it's about time for the meeting to begin."

I got up eagerly. It was finally time for my first meeting as Luna, the first meeting I would actually get to observe and be a part of. The image of the meeting I attempted to overhear flashed through my mind. The day Rafe had made it clear where I had stood in that moment. But things were different now, we were different, and I was welcomed in with smiles.

That was until the talk began.

The meeting was called to order and nearly right away Tony, the main line guard stepped forward.

"Sir, Ma'am, I have some unsettling news."

"Well go ahead and say it, Tony," Rafe said keeping his eyes level.

"Well, Sir, we've recieved some information from the line. The rogues from across the land have started gathering, rumor has it they are planning an organized attack. Not many have met, this only started yesterday morning that we know of, but we fear it may not take long before they become more organized amongst themselves."

"What are they planning on attacking?" Rafe asked.

"Us, Sir."

Rafe nodded, his lips pressed into a tight line. I watched him carefully, I could practically see his military gears turning. He was already thinking strategically on how to take down this enemy, even without all the typical information. We had no why, no where, no when. We knew nothing except there had been talk, but for The Blood Alpha, that was enough already.

"Where have these gatherings taken place?" Rafe asked looking at Tony.

"There have been various gatherings today alone. We were informed by a pack not too far from here. Their line patrol had heard the group, all but one of their men had been killed.

Rafe nodded silently.

"Alright. We will table that for now. Come back to me when you have more news."

The rest of the meeting had been very dull and boring. Just basic pack necessities. Talking politics and law, discussing the fate of those who had broken a few laws.

When we were finished I went back into our room and flopped onto the bed exhausted. Rafe came in not long after and laid down next to me.

"What are you going to do about the rogue situation?" I asked him.

"I'm not quite sure yet, but we're going to stop them before it becomes too big of an issue. At the moment they are just devided cells. They may have a common goal, but they don't have united forces yet. Hopefully we can find some more locations before they join together."

"Why is your answer always to kill?"

"What do you mean? That's what they're planning on doing."

"But they're doing it because they think it's the only way to get to you. All you ever do is attack and kill. What if you tried solving your problems with other packs through words and treaties?"

"That makes no sense," Rafe said dismissing the thought immediately.

"You may not think it does, but I came from a pack where that was all they ever did. We may have been small, but we made friends. We had allies among some of the larger packs in the area, and if we needed help they were there for us. You could do that too instead of just barging right on in and killing the people who go against you. Just try talking, can you do that at least once?"

Rafe signed and his arm went around me. I leaned into him, his touch sending heat straight though me.

"I don't know if I can do that."

"Just try," I whispered. "Try for me,"

*****************

So sorry this one doesn't have a lot to it. It's more of a set up chapter.

Comment, Vote, and Fan. I will be back with another chapter here in the not too distant future.