Chapter 18- Journey Home

"What do you mean you want them to come back with us?" Rafe asked trying to keep his voice calm and quiet.

I had pulled him off to the side to talk without the others listening in. It was true, I wanted the rogues to come back with us. I just didn't feel right leaving them out there all alone. Sure they had been getting along just fine by themselves, but it still felt wrong to just leave them.

"Rafe, they helped me. It's the least I can do, to offer them a place to call home."

"We don't know anything about them Katarina, you haven't even known them that long."

"Maybe not, but they welcomed me in right away. They didn't hesitate to bring me into their home, to call me one of their own. I can at least do this for them."

"How do you know they even want to leave here and join a pack? They're rogues, don't you think that might be for a reason."

I just shrugged. I had thought of that, only briefly though. There were very few things that resulted in rogues living on their own. I still refused to think the worst of them.

"They may not want to, but I think they should at least get the opportunity to turn it down. Come on Rafe, who knows what would have happened to me if I had been out here all by myself these past weeks. There may not have even been a me to find."

I knew that wasn't true. I had the skills necessary to survive on my own, but I needed something to make him see my way.

"Fine," Rafe sighed. You can offer them acceptance into the pack, just don't be upset if they turn you down.

"Thank you," I said smiling and throwing my arms around him.

I quickly made my way back to the others, sharing the news. They seemed thrilled with the idea, or at least most of them did. Nolan didn't seem as convinced as the others were.

"You don't want to go," I said as we walked through the woods.

"That's not it. I just don't know if I can."

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion.

"Kat, I may have said what needed saying, and believe me, I meant it all. But I don't know if I can go back there and see you every day with him."

I frowned slightly. I had been so wrapped up in my own emotions that I had almost forgotten his feelings for me. I understood where he was coming from, hell, I had seen the after affect of Rafe with Aphrodite. It wasn't fair of me to ask him to see that.

But if he didn't come with, I would truly miss him. Within the short time we had together, I had really grown close to Nolan. He was the first real friend I had formed and to leave him behind would hurt.

"I understand, but I would be glad if you did. It's not right of me to ask you to, it's quite selfish of me really. I would just really miss you. You've been an amazing person from day one and I wouldn't be here now if it weren't for you."

I looked down as I started to make my way back toward the campsite. Darkness had fallen and Rafe had said we were going to head out first thing in the morning.

"Kat, wait," Nolan called out.

I stopped in my tracks, feeling Nolan reach out grabbing my hand. He held it firmly in his, squeezing slightly.

"I'll come with."

"Nolan, I don't want to make you do anything you don't wan-"

"I do want to, Kat. As hard as it might be to see you with someone else every day, It would be worse not to see you at all. I'll just get over it," he said with a light smile. But I could see it in his eyes, getting over it wasn't going to be easy for him. "Who knows, I may even find my own mate." He didn't sound very convinced with that, but I hoped that he would.