It had all been so silent and so soft, her touches so careful and so warm, her gaze so loving and so sorry, and Asami couldn't take it anymore.

She curled up in Korra's arms and cried.

Korra closed her eyes and bit her lip, wrapping her arms tight around Asami at the sound of her raw, anguished sobs. Asami, in turn, buried her face in Korra's neck and clenched her fists in the fabric of Korra's robe and let herself lose control completely.

She cried until she lost her voice. She cried until she ran out of tears. She cried for her father, she cried for her mother. She cried for her company and her city. She cried for Korra and she cried for herself. She cried and cried, and Korra never once made a sound. Never once let go. And Asami fell asleep in her arms, and in the morning she woke up in exactly the same place.

Korra woke up first. Morning light was filtering through the shutters, making the whole room glow faintly with a dusty golden light. Asami was fast asleep, her face still tucked against Korra's neck and her warm breath fluttering evenly against her skin. She had relinquished her tight grip on Korra's robe during the night, but her hands were still pressed to Korra's stomach. Her knees were bent, one of her legs between Korra's.

Korra bent her head a bit and buried her face in Asami's hair, moving slowly to avoid waking her. She finally looked peaceful, and Korra wasn't about to ruin that by waking her. So she laid there with her, arms still tight around her, and started idly carding her fingers through Asami's hair.

She didn't know how long she lied there like that, pressing the occasional soft kiss to the top of Asami's head, before Asami let out a long sigh and stirred. Korra stilled, worried she'd accidentally woken her, but then Asami lifted her head and met Korra's eyes and Korra forgot everything else and smiled because she even looked beautiful after crying all night.

"Morning," Asami said hoarsely.

"Morning," Korra whispered right back. Asami blinked slowly, taking in her surroundings, and Korra suddenly realized she was still holding her tight in her arms and sliding her fingers through her hair and she blushed in embarrassment. She sat up, carefully pulling Asami up with her before she let go of her and sat back against the headboard. Asami made no comment on her movements, just followed it all with tired eyes.

"You... slept okay?" Korra asked at length. She was bursting with concern, but Asami looked like she might break if she asked her too much too fast.

"Yes, all things considered," Asami sighed, giving Korra a small smile that made her heart pound.

"Do you... do you want me to get you anything?" Korra asked in a rush, sitting up a bit further and pushing the covers from her legs. "If you don't want to leave the room. I can... I can bring you some breakfast, or..."

"No, I'm okay," Asami said gently, placing a hand on Korra's arm to stop her from moving. Korra swallowed hard and nodded.

"Well... just... let me know if you need anything," Korra muttered with an awkward smile. "Or if you want me to go. I mean I kind of just showed up here last night even though you probably just wanted some space-"

"I'm glad you showed up," Asami cut her off again. "Thank you." Korra blushed and smiled down at her lap. Asami sighed a bit. "I mean that, Korra. You didn't have to do what you did, but I really..." She trailed off and Korra glanced over at her. Asami was staring at her arm. She withdrew her hand, eyes going wide. "Korra, you're bleeding."

"Huh?" Korra asked, confused. She looked at her arm and saw one of her cuts from the day before. "Oh, no, that's dry," she said with a shrug. Asami stared at her. "It's fine."