Chapter 13

"Ash, I'm really sorry for ruining our hike." Serena admitted her guilt.

"It's fine, I understand you think it's dangerous." Ash said.

"Thank you for your forgiveness." Serena uttered. "Could we hang out at the mall or something?" She asked.

"Uh, not really the shopping type, but if you want to....sure." He responded.

"Alright! Let's go!" Serena grabbed Ash's hand and bolted to the mall. Ash was having trouble figuring out why Serena could run to the mall, but not hike up a mountain without having to take a break every minute. He decided it was no big deal and ignored it.

"We're here!" Serena said. Ash bent down and panted.

"Gee, I'm exhausted!" He complained. Serena started walking again and he sighed following close behind. They got Italian ice and they ate it at one of the benches. (It's and outside mall.)

"It's a really nice day today. You know I bet my mom would enjoy this! What about yours?" Serena had forgotten that Ash didn't have a family.

"..." Ash said nothing.

"Oh! I'm so sorry Ash." She apologized.

"It's fine I guess. I'm not really in the mood to shop right now." Ash said. His face was gloomy. Serena knew she made a bug mistake. The couple walked in the park nearby. Ash was silent most of the time.

"So what happened to your mom? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to though." She asked. Ash walked towards the lake and sat down on the grass.

"I actually need to let it go. I can't hold it in anymore. If I hold it in any longer I'll explode." He said. Serena sat down next to Ash. "When I was about eight years old my dad passed away in the war. My mom and I were all depressed. Then she started dating this guy. His name was Giovanni. I didn't like him at all. He was rude and he was very suspicious. I didn't see what my mom saw in him. It was like she was under a spell."

Serena nodded as he talked. She started inching her hand closer and closer to Ash's. She could tell he needed affection. Ash's eyes started to swell and he was tearing up.

"When I was seven they got married. I was abused and I was too scared to say anything to my mom. Next thing I knew...she was...she was..she was killed."

Ash was in tears now. He couldn't hold his tears.

"Ash! I'm sorry!" Serena was in tears too. She fell on top of Ash. Ash reacted to this fast. He wrapped his arms around her. The two laid there for a while. Ash finally spoke up.

"Giovanni got away. I promised to kill him one day. Garret has been training me at the orphanage ever since I got there." Ash started to rise up so Serena got off of him. "I need to get revenge."

Serena checked the time on her phone. "It's 5:30! I'm gonna be late for dinner!"

"Oh crap! I guess I got carried away. I'll take you home." They both awkwardly walked to Serena's house. "Okay, I guess I'll see you soon." Ash waved goodnight and left.

When Ash arrived at the orphanage he went straight to his room and started thinking. Thinking about Giovanni. "I need to get revenge, but how?" Ash said to himself. Then Garret walked in.

"Hey buddy. How was your day with your girlfriend?" He asked.

"It was great!" Ash faked a smile. "You know, you're a senior and high school and you've never had a girlfriend."

"I know, but don't get into my love life!" Garret said. "Or else."

"Haha, okay. Don't get feisty." Ash said playfully. Garret walked at of his room and Ash grabbed his phone immediately.

Ash: Hey, Garret needs a girlfriend. You know what this means? ;)

Serena: Oh yeahhh ;)