Chapter 7

Two weeks after Ash and Dawn started dating Drew came up with the perfect plan to embarrass Ash. Between classes Drew walked up to Dawn. His slick green hair gleamed. "I heard you were dating that nerd, Ash."

"He's not a nerd. He's adorable."

"Yeah sure. Why don't you date someone better? You called him a freak anyways."

"Yeah but..."

"But what?" Drew grinned. He leaned closer to Dawn. The blue haired girl turned her head, but not fast enough. Their lips touched. Dawn opened her eyes. She moved her head back and forth trying to escape. She quit when she saw Ash. Standing in front of the scene.

"Dawn..."

Dawn broke away from the kiss. "Ash! I-"

"Save it." Ash then grabbed Drew by the collar and slammed him into one of the nearby lockers. The angry boy drew his fist back looking into Drew's eyes. He put all his force into the punch. Drew dramatically slid down the wall. Ash broke his nose.

"Ash, I'm so sorry. I can explain." The girls hand grabbed Ash's. Ash looked her in the eye, and pulled his hand away. After school Ash went straight to the orphanage. He was acting like his old self. When he got there Garret saw him.

"Woah Ash. What happened?"

"Get out of my business."

'I knew I made a mistake letting him date that girl.' Garret thought.

The next day at school Ash ignored everybody. Everybody ignored him too, they knew what happened to Ash and Dawn. He grumbled when he saw his EX girlfriend in the halls, then he walked on.

When Serena heard the news she had to talk to Dawn. During study hall Ash sat at a table alone, about three tables away from Dawn. Serena spotted her best friend and marched to her angrily.

"What did you do to, Ash. Wait, not what. Why?"

"I didn't mean to! Drew kissed me! I didn't kiss him back!"

"Oh, then why didn't you just tell Ash that?"

"He's avoiding me. When I would see him he would turn away."

"I'm going to go talk to him." Serena said while she got up.

"Good luck." Serena slowly walked to Ash.

"Hey Ash?" He looked up at her.

"Yes?"

"You see-" She was interrupted by a hug. Ash sniffled. He felt a tingly sensation in him when he hugged Serena.

'What was this? Must have been something I ate.' He thought.

Serena hugged him back, but then Ash broke away. "Sorry, I'm just really bummed."

"I see what you mean." Serena told him. Ash smiled. Then he stood.

"Thank you, Serena. You are a big help."

"No problem."

"Why don't you visit the orphanage?"

"Okay!" Serena followed Ash "home". When the two walked in Garret paused.

"What is she doing here?"

"Relax Garret. She's just a friend."

Serena was saddened by the word "friend". She ignored it and followed Ash to his room. When they walked in the two heard something. "Hey freak! This is what you get for breaking my nose!" They heard a laugh from outside. Serena and Ash knew who it was.

"Guys! Get out! Someone lit the orphanage on fire!" Garret shouted. The orphanage was made out of wood so of course it was vulnerable to fire. Gladly everyone made it outside. Except for Ash and Serena. They were trapped inside his room.

"What do we do?" Serena managed to cough out.

"Stay here!" Ash demanded. He opened the door and quickly backed away. There was a huge flame blocking it. Ash came as close as he could to the fire and looked for another route. Fortunately he found one. "Come on, Serena!" He grabbed her hand and pulled her through the route that he saw. When they were near the entrance they heard a crack.

"Ash, the building is about to break down." They heard another crack. Ash then looked at Serena with wide eyes then pushed her out of the building making her fall on the ground. The building fell down on Ash. He disappeared under the rubble and burnt wood. "ASH!" Serena screamed.

The fire department came in and cleared the fire. When they cleared the rubble they found Ash's body. Serena's eyes widened. She ran to him. Faster than a bullet coming from a gun. "Ma'am. MA'AM." The fireman said. She ignored them. She grabbed his body and hugged him. She then moved her head down to his chest. It was beating. Really slowly. "Ma'am he is barely alive. Let us take him to the hospital." Serena nodded and let the firemen take Ash.