Chapter 21 Rescue Unfolded

Start from the beginning

I slowly walked through with a firm grip on my wand, breathing heavily. I could barely see ahead. The building was made of sleek black tire. I wanted to use my wand for light but that would make it too easy for Death Eaters to spot me.

For a while, there was only silence, just the sound of my own breath, but then my ears caught sound of someone else's breath. It was more short and staggered, like a wounded animal. I picked up my pace and followed the sound. I walked into a nook at the end of the hall and found Morgan pressed against the wall. He looked pale, as though he grew ill.

"Morgan!" I knelt beside him.

"Melanie," he panted. "How did..."

"Lenora told me where you guys went," I answered, "and she told me it was mostly likely a trap. But don't worry. The Order came with me, including your mom. Everything's going to be okay."

Morgan sat up straighter. "Lenora... she actually came to you for help?"

I shrugged and gave him a twisted grin. "You were wrong about her. She wasn't going after you to get closer to me. She actually does genuinely care about you. Luckily right now, that worked in our favor seeing as she helped me get to you."

He shook his head and inched away.

I frowned. "Morgan's what's wrong?"

"You need to get away from me!" he insisted, breathing heavily once again. "You have to go, Melanie. It's not safe around me!"

"What do you mean? Morgan, what happened?"

He raised his left arm. Right above his wrists were two tiny dots that appeared like bite marks.

"Mars Lane... he's a vampire. Fully transformed, vampire."

I gasped, throwing my hand over my mouth. That's what Lenora was trying to warn me about.

"He bit you?"

He nodded, letting out a hollow chuckle. "Maybe if he knew his daughter fancied me, he'd have gone easier."

"I doubt that," I muttered trying to get my thoughts together. "He just bit you once, right? That means you're only infected. You have to die to fully transform."

I wished I paid better attention during our lessons on vampires. Not many of them exist so I did not find it necessary at the time.

"Melanie, please," Morgan pleaded. "Get away... I'm feeling... hungry..."

I shook my head and placed my arms on him. "I won't leave you no matter..."

My right hand got too close. Morgan's teeth sunk into my wrist. His eyes widened at what happened.

"Melanie..."

I looked at the blood on my hand, breathing in slowly. "Morgan... Mars Lane didn't actually murder you, right?"

His head sunk but he still managed give me one shake. "No, but it's a full moon. Those infected with vampire venom can infect others..."

I really should have paid attention during class. My veins began to tingle. I could actually feel my own blood flowing through my body. My skin started to feel cold but it was not a bad feeling.

Morgan still had his distraught 'What have I done' look on his face but I knew there was no time.

"Morgan, listen to me," I said, firmly. "We have to go. The others need us, so pull yourself together and get up!"

"Melanie, do you even understand what's happening to us?"

"Yeah, we're infected, but not transformed so as long as we stay alive then we're good."