Chapter Thirty-Three: Grumblehorn

Adelle and Arnold moved through the streets on Ampyre. With lesser people and equipment than they were escorting before and a better understanding of the layout, they managed to avoid the increased security with little problems.

That, and Adelle could teleport.

They reappeared in an alley shadowed in even more darkness than the rest of the continent. Even if they could travel quickly, they were trying to not raise alarms. Another patrol of ten or so soldiers marched past the street as the pair slunk into the umbra, pulling up their cloaks to hide the colour of their faces.

Adelle harshly whispered, "There seems to be more of them than normal."

"They're probably looking for us. Or at least, you," he replied. "Green hair, red eyes, hard to miss."

"Don't remind me," she groaned.

Once the guards passed, she grabbed him by the shoulder and ported them across the streets. Moving through the labyrinth of the inner city, they hoped to close in enough to the fortress for Adelle to sneak in while Arnold caused a distraction outside. But hopefully, their secondary plan would kick into place instead.

Three days ago while on the road over, Arnold had sent out a message over the radio to Eca's group for aid. They did not have a long range 'receiver' on the truck - whatever that was - and could not be sure Eca's group even got the call. They were going to execute the rescue even if they didn't though. Time, after all, was not on their side. They had to meet back up with the rest of their friends before the hunt for them on the other side of the continent escalated further.

Together, they blended into a crowd and flowed with the swaying pedestrian. Each stepped brought them closer to the meeting spot they had arranged for with Eca. The plan was to wait there for the afternoon and hope someone turns up to get them, preferably not the ones wanting the capture Adelle to execute an end of the world plan. They weren't sure if their radio message had been intercepted and only hoped the secure frequency was actually secured.

Arnold said, "This way." He darted into a smaller street. As they proceeded towards the tavern where they were meant to wait for Eca's rebels, Adelle could not help but notice Arnold's relieved smile. "We're almost there!"

"They might not be here," she reminded him and watched his smile fade away.

"Way to kill the mood."

The Grumblehorn Travern was just your run-of-the-mill tavern that served enough alcohol to put a giant to sleep, or a rampage, whatever one's fancy. It was one of the few places not connected to the Guides and informants information network. There was little reason for any guards to investigate the place for anything else other than how much their rum cost.

Unlike most of the middle city, the building was relatively new. Though made of common stones, it was able to afford the luxury of wooden frames and a velvet flag hanging above its door with the tavern logo of two white horns crossed as swords.

The pair entered and some of the patrons looked up to them. However, none kept their gaze and quickly fell back to whatever slime of drinks they were having. The room was made of simple rock floor and layered with long stone benches and tables. A bar was situated flatly across the entrance with shelves of drinks in leather ceramic jugs labelled with dried paint. A musky smell of dusty alcohol floated around.

They walked across the tavern and took a corner booth. When the waiter walked up to them, Arnold simply raised three fingers to order the drinks, to which the former nodded. The drinks came in three ceramic mugs of different sizes and colours. Consistency was obviously not a concern there.