Chapter Forty-Two: Titan War

The army's infantry had cordoned off the large empty plains in front of Citi. It wasn't because there were tonnages of equipment to be moved, no. The only machinery there were Reggie and half a dozen giant-sized power lines running from the city power grid overland to the mech. Over the mountains, the rust clouds had darkened with the approaching Exodus swarm. Scouts had already confirmed the creature's approach along with sightings of a giant bird of light that seemingly disappeared. Shou charted the latter information as delirium due to their impending demise.

Shou sat in Reggie's cockpit, the neural network connected to his brain. The AC and vents were running on low to prevent the power cells from heating up too much before the battle and Shou was beginning to sweat a little in the warmth. Reggie had angled the pod so he could lie against the wall slightly to try to rest.

Friend Shou, you do not have to stay.

"Nonsense," Shou replied out loud, his eyes closed. "I have a bio-cell, you have a bio-cell. Two is better than one."

If the cells overheat, it will cause a large explosion. You will die.

"If Exodus gets to us, we'll die anyway."

Friend Shou, I highly sugg-

"Don't worry about it," he insisted.

But-

"I go where you go." Shou sighed, his eyes still closed. He wanted to see if he could have one last nap before it started, but it seemed that wasn't going to happen.

I apologise for bothering your sleep, friend Shou.

He forgot Reggie could read his mind while connected. "It's not a problem. I enjoy talking to you. Besides, it's not exactly comfortable enough to sleep in here anyway."

I downloaded a story yesterday. Would you like me to share it with you?

"That would be nice."

Reggie did not read to him. It was more as if it shared the idea of the story. It was a slice-of-life tale about a young boy falling in love with a girl on his way to school in another town. The girl was homeless and lived by the roadside in an abandoned car. He began bringing her fuel cells every week to keep the car running so she could continue having a home. As Reggie shared the story, Shou could not help but wonder if this was how mechs think. Did the A.I simply traverse in information? Are they able to enjoy the emotional aspects of being alive? If not, was it something they could learn? Then he remembered Reggie had shown many times that it worried for him. Perhaps that was enough to prove its empathy. There was so much to learn about the species. A new method of intelligent life, of understanding the world.

"Shou!"

His eyes flit opened at the call. He got to his feet, holding onto the side of the pod for support. After unplugging from Reggie, he pulled up his hood as the aeronium glass released the inside to the outside world. Leaning out, he looked down at Reggie's feet to find Miu with Luce, the latter using two of Shou's spare crutches to walk.

"Reggie?" He asked. "Can you bring me down?"

The Titan acquiesced and brought its arm around to carry Shou to the ground.

"Thanks, buddy!" he exclaimed as he stepped off onto the ground.

All four of them - along with the dozens of engineers - were standing next to the giant crystech pulse repulsor. The size of an entire bus, the only thing taller than it within distance were Reggie and the buildings far south on the edges of Citi. Two giant power lines at the height of a person were connected to the back of Reggie's legs. The remaining four were hooked up to the repulsor. They would channel whatever electricity was left from the grid to power the weapon, and Reggie and Shou's bio-cell were the go-between of that energy while the Titan the turret that aimed