Chapter Twenty Four

2k Reads!!!! I'm screaming!!! This is the highest amount of reads I've ever Had!!!! I love you all for making this a reality!!

★彡

The silence caressed her skin like a cool summer breeze, except it wasn't summer, and the frigid air conditioning could have chipped her hair off had she not already shaved it. She'd risen from her seat, fingers trembling to the point she could barely adjust the button on her blazer, but rather ended up fiddling with it. "Yes, your honor, I'm prepared." Christina Gresham heard herself say. She gulped a breath thinking not about what she would have to endure if she'd lost, but rather what she would enjoy when she'd won. The shaking in her hands reduced. She stepped aside from her table, from her father. She became the lawyer who'd won more cases than she'd lost. She became the woman she'd been before her diagnoses, the woman who felt at pease before the glaring eyes of a courtroom. She was Christina Gresham, defense attorney. She belonged to herself, she belonged to her success.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, what we have before us, is a tragedy, one that I understand has affected the lives of many, one that I understand has left a man bastardized and a woman widowed, a tragedy that even after years will not be so easily forgotten." It was her turn to pace the courtroom front, feeling more and more comfortable in her one-size-too-small Marc Jacob heels. "But it's a tragedy that I have to make you understand wasn't committed by my client Mr. Terrence Edwin Gresham."

"But by a man seated here in this courtroom, a man who wasn't questioned as a suspect, a man who was more than once recorded on video surveillance entering and exiting the investment company. These were videos submitted into evidence days after the charges against my client were filed."

"That man seemed jittery." She paused, hickory eyes warm as she glimpsed back at the family of the deceased. "Witnesses here in this court are willing to testify to his composure."

"And I'm sure by now we're all wondering who this man is? We all want to know the answer to the single question that brought us here. What really happened to Lawrence Malcom Harrington? Who was responsible for his murder?"

"Well the answer is simple, this man is known easily by the name Peter White, Assistant District Attorney for the New York County."

★彡