Chapter 10

Thoughts

*Rai-Lin*

Jake's mouth was tight as he stared at me. "I admit my mistake. I didn't think you were this good. You deserve to make an offer."

"Should I be flattered receiving praise from someone like you?" I asked.

Jake went to rush me again only to find he couldn't move. His eyes widened in panic, while I giggled. "Jake, what are you doing? Attack her?" Marie said.

Jake's mouth moved, but it wasn't his words coming out. They were mine. "I am a horrendous dog who deserves to be put down."

"Jake, what?" Marie's eyes locked on me as I continued to laugh. She started towards me only to be blocked by Frankie."

"I'm sorry," he said without an ounce of sincerity. "I can't let you interfere. This is their battle."

I stopped laughing and cocked my head at Jake. "This is no fun. I think I will let you go now if only to make things more interesting." I blinked, releasing his mind.

Jake rushed at me without a thought. I easily dodged. He ran into a concrete wall; however, his movements weren't the same anymore. Power oozed off him. I was forced to jump out of the way as he slammed his fist down into the ground where I was just standing.

"You're getting my attention," he cackled, but there was still a gleam of fear in his eyes. His arms were starting to change. So, he was a modified human, not that the inhuman speed and strength hadn't been a giveaway. My eyes narrowed at him as I felt Frankie's surprise. "I can't control my power. It has been a long time since I have transformed. I lack accuracy as well."

"You got nice arms," Frankie called from where he was still blocking Marie.

"Of course, it's nice. This proves I am an evolved human, not like those bugs outside." Jake flexed his arms.

"Evolved human?" Frankie glanced at me.

"These arms make me stronger than those weak bugs. Humans always killed and destroyed something throughout history, and this is what humans wanted deep down...not only me but..." Jake was cut off by Marie.

"Jake."

"Well, I may have talked too much as I haven't transformed in a long time."

"Jake, it's being delayed. Finish her off."

Jake grinned at me. "It won't be like earlier. I won't miss because I can control my power now. Haha."

He ran at me again. I swung to the side, and his hand slammed into the concrete. "Damn," he growled as my eyes glowed both in anger and with power.

"This is getting boring," I slung my hand out, and my blue tendrils of power wrapped around Jake. Everyone's eyes widened as they squeezed him. He cried out in pain. "This will teach you not to kill for fun, you dog." I clenched my first as my tendrils grew even tighter around him. I wanted him to die for what he had done.

"Watch out," Frankie called. I released my power as the vampire attacked me. I kicked him across the face, sending him flying back. The distraction was enough for Marie to get past my brother and to Jake.

She glanced down at Jake in disgust. "We're leaving."

"Why would you do that? We haven't gotten our answers yet." I crossed my arms.

Marie didn't look back at me, an insulting gesture. I went to attack, but Frankie put his arm out in front of me. He shook his head imperceptibly. "You shouldn't get too cocky," Marie called, still not looking back. "I wasn't the one who accepted that offer. You had your answer when Jake was blabbering on about himself." The disappeared into the darkness, and I resisted the urge to go after them.

I glowered at Frankenstein. "Why didn't you let me kill them?"

"This was a mission to gather information, not to kill. There was a time you balked at the idea of killing. What happened?" He looked down at me in concern.

"I lost too much, and then I decided to stop losing." I turned away and headed back towards the house. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slammed the door to the house when we arrived. I had stewed in my emotions on the way home, leaving me angrier than ever. I had a chance to end this tonight, and my brother wouldn't let me. I couldn't believe he had just let them go when I could have so easily decimated them.

I stormed through the house, not even bothering to eat something to refuel my powers. Raziel looked up as I walked past him. I was so livid I didn't say a word to him. As I went to our room, Raziel quietly asked Frankenstein what happened.

I plopped down on our bed and began to punch the pillows hard enough I was afraid they would break. I did this for several minutes before I realized it was doing little to ease my anger. With a huff, I looked at the wall. Cocking my fist, I released it with full force.

Only to stop a centimeter away from the wall as I hand closed around my wrist. Raziel slowly lowered my arm. "You shouldn't do that. You could break the wall." He knew better than to think I would break my hand.

I sat on the bed, feeling drained. Raziel sat next to me. He had a plate of steaming food in the hand that was not lightly holding my wrist. "What's that?" I asked listlessly.

"Frankenstein said you used some of your power. You should replenish it." It was his way of saying he loved me. He offered me the plate in a sweeping gesture.

A smile tugged at my lips despite myself. "Thank you, my love." I pecked his lips as I took the plate, beginning to eat.