Chapter 7

Italics: Thoughts

*Rai-Lin*

“We took all the students home safe. Everyone’s so worried that they are staying at Yuna’s house,” Frankie was saying. Raziel and I were staring out a window, my arm now healed. “Also, we made sure that the police are stationed around her house. There is no doubt that Yuna was kidnapped. The did not harm the other students at all. If they took full actions to the students, they wouldn’t be alive. Master, there was something about them. It was a subtle abnormal energy that I felt.”

“That’s right,” Raziel said from my side. “It’s because they don’t belong anywhere.”

I waited until he was finished speaking before saying, “Those two were modified humans, not much different from the ones I’ve been fighting in the U.S. The fact they are here is a bad omen indeed. I don’t think they just want the children. I think the children are a nice distraction from the real work they have to do, and whatever that work is, it isn’t good for us.”

“What do you think they are here for?” Frankie asked.

“I can’t be sure without getting in their minds, which I can’t do without alerting them to my being in there, but I think they are here because of Raziel. I can’t say why. It’s just a gut feeling I have.”

“This is ill news indeed. Your gut feelings are never wrong. I will think on this,” Frankie said before he walked away.

Now alone with Raziel, I intertwined our hands as we looked out at the night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slept until early afternoon the next day, and the only reason I woke up was because of a commotion outside. Police sirens were wailing. I jumped out of bed, not bothering to look presentable, and rushed out to Raziel’s side. “What’s happening?”

Raziel was quiet for a moment before saying, “I couldn’t open the door.”

It took me a moment to understand what was going on. Then, I noticed Frankie’s monitor was showing Shinwu and friends being hauled to the police cars. I sighed and opened the front door. “Wait,” I called. The police officers froze. “There’s no need to haul them away like that. They’re my friends. I was sleeping in and didn’t hear the doorbell ring.” My hands were clasped behind my back.

“Who are you?” one of the police asked.

“I am the chairman’s sister. I live here.”

“ID, please.”

“It’s in the house,” I said. “Allow me to go get it.” I turned to retrieve the ID Frankie had made for me when Raziel exited the house through the open door. In his hands was my ID.

The police officers tensed. “Who is he?”

“This is my boyfriend. He lives here as well since he is a foreigner,” I handed my ID to the nearest police officer. “Is this satisfactory?”

“Yes, ma’am.” The police officer turned back to her comrades and nodded. Shinwu and company were soon uncuffed. Smiling, I shooed the children into the house.

As the door shut behind me, my smile dropped. “What did you all do to get arrested?”

“Shinwu jumped the wall,” Ikhan said.

I facepalmed. “I can’t believe you all. I really can’t. Just go sit down,” They did. I turned to Raziel and said quietly, “And remind me to show you how to work the door.”

Raziel and I walked close together as we entered the living room. Raziel sat down, while I stood with my arms crossed. “Headlock from the police is still hurting,” Shinwu whined. He rubbed his neck. “Rai, how can you not know how to open the door? Where have you been living at?”

I tensed as Ikhan continued the thought. “He’s right. You have been living here for a while.”

Shinwu stood up. “Anyway…matter is solved. Ikhan, shall we get started?”

“Okay,” Ikhan pushed up his glasses and slammed a bag on the table. “Rai, we brought these just for you! Police got more suspicious because of these. Remember the game before? Laptops would be tricky to operate, but it’ll be good enough to have some fun. Rai, watch out today as well.”

I crossed my arms. “Just make sure Shinwu watches his mouth. I’d hate for a repeat of last time.”

“That…that was just luck,” Shinwu stuttered.

I smirked. “Sure.”

Raziel stood up abruptly and looked down on the kids. And he smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the children left and Frankie returned human, Frankie turned on the TV. Apparently, something had happened, something bad. Frankie was radiating concern.

As the TV finished powering up, a voice began to come out of it. “Horrible incident occurred last night. During a sudden backout, many employees and patients at the 000 hospital were brutally murdered. This is a heinous crime, and they are still counting the number of victims and searching and survivors. The police are devoting every manpower to investigate this case.”

My power swirled just beneath the surface, causing not just my pupils but the whites of my eyes to glow blue. I clenched my fists as I struggled to keep the power contained. Seeing this, Frankie gently grabbed my arm, a bold move saying as I could explode anytime, and led me into the training room. As soon as he exited, I fell to my knees as tendrils of blue power snapped around me. A yell tore past my lips.

I lashed out of the longest time until I tired out. I crawled to a corner and curled into a ball, silently weeping. I was so caught up in my mourning I didn’t notice Raziel had entered the room until he gathered me to him. “It’s my fault,” I sobbed. “If I had just gone after that stupid vampire, none of this would have happened. So many helpless people dead because of me.”

Raziel gently stroked my hair. “You protected the children. If you had gone after him, the children might have been hurt. You did the right thing.”

“Then, why does is hurt so much?”

“Because you care.”