drabble: the one with new traditions

a/n: hello, everyone! first i want to say thank you to everyone who has loved this story as much as i have. i wanted to tackle darker topics in my fics this year, and grief is the outstanding one in this story. for some of my stories more than others, it's easy for me to envision futures for the characters. while neha and niall will continue to grow, this will be my last drabble for them, simply because, i have other stories to tell. I see them getting married eventually, but as the author i feel content with where they are. this story was about books and family and love, all of which i feel like i've thoroughly explored.

also before anyone gets sad or mad dfjghjdf my next niall story will be a very dad centric fic, so don't fret. thank you always!

also x2 this drabble has smut you've been warned!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going shopping for new suits is an annual tradition for Niall.

When the heat of August melts into the beginning of September, he makes his way to his favorite shops and buys a new range of suits for the upcoming year. Usually, he leaves his older suits in the closet, but Neha's convinced him to donate the ones he no longer wishes to wear.

While he more than enjoys the numbers side of his work, he likes this part too. There's something about a nice suit, the cut and feel — it transforms a person. Even a pair of nice trousers and a dress shirt can make you feel that much more confident. He loves looking at all the new adjustments and creations that have sprouted up within the last year, and every year he adds at least one suit that is different from anything he's ever owned before.

A day was carved out of his schedule especially for the event. This time, though, Niall's added a new layer to his tradition — he's brought his expert girlfriend along with him.

Neha herself isn't much of a shopper. Every once in a while, she'll want to head to the mall and get something new but for the most part, she likes to spend her money elsewhere. But when Niall had asked her to join him, with that curious and excited glint in his blue eyes, she couldn't resist.

So far, they've hit three different stores and Niall's added a total of 5 new suits to his collection. In contrast to all the expensive suits he has in the shopping bags dangling from his arms, he's wearing a relatively laid back outfit.

Neha loves seeing him dressed up, but there's something else entirely about his "regular" clothes. In a simple white Nike t-shirt, a pair of Ray-Ban sunnies, and a pair of light blue jeans — he looks perfect and she's astounded, yet again, that Niall Horan is hers.

"Gimmie a sip," he says, gesturing towards the iced chai one of the stores had offered Neha as she waited. She brings the cup to his lips and he wraps them around the straw.

"Mm, that's good," Niall announces once he's done. He gives her a cheeky smile when he notices she's staring at him with wide eyes. He transfers all of his bags over to one hand, refusing to let Neha carry any of them. He slips his free hand into hers, intertwining their fingers with ease and tugging her closer as they walk towards his favorite shop. He kisses her temple, "Are ya bored yet, darlin?"

"No, no of course not," Neha tells him, kissing his bicep sweetly.

"Then why are you staring at me like that?" Niall counters, raising an eyebrow at her. '"Got something on my face?"

Their steps slow as they reach the entrance of the shop and Neha nods, "Actually, yeah. You do."

"What? Where?" Niall tries, and fails, to look at his reflection in the shop's door. "Well get it off then, baby."