Chapter 22 - "I can't fight on my own"

I've tried forever getting out on my own.
Come and find me in the dark now
Everyday by myself I'm breaking down

I don't wanna fight alone anymore
~
In the end I'm realizing I was never meant to fight on my own

~

There he is, walking the corridors all alone, just the way he likes. 

Gregory Black.

The boy who refuses to talk. Not to his father, not to his teachers, not to anyone.

Greg lost his mother when he was five years old. His father; who was a successful author, got depressed. He stopped writing. He stopped caring.

But he tried.

Stanford Black tried all he could to get his son to talk to him again. He took him to therapists, took him out to basketball games like he did when Gregory was younger.

Stanford now works as a car mechanic to keep himself and his son on their feet.

He knew Greg was hurting, but the boy is now fifteen. He should've accepted it. He hasn't spoken in ten years now.

Greg saw the war. He witnessed it firsthand as he was taking a walk in that neighborhood where hell broke loose.

literally.

He saw how the girl who was heartless fought alongside her new friend. He saw her gain a heart once more.

And he wished he could regain his voice.

He wants to talk to his dad. He wants to be happy again. But he feels as if he's a burden to everyone. So he does it on his own. He wants to climb out of the pitch black hole he's been stuck in for years, but he doesn't know he's only digging deeper.

When the demons took over the humans, Greg fought his. He was able to control his demons like he's done for so long.

The voices in his head tell him everyday that he's nothing. That the world would be better without him. 

But he doesn't listen.

He listens to his father's prayers as he prays for him to talk to him again.

Not a day has gone by where Greg has fought his way through the darkness, trying to get to his dad. To be happy again. To move on.

But he fails every damn time.

Now he sees Ariel and Nathaniel helping around, spreading kindness, returning smiles to other people's faces.

And for once, the boy who shut everyone out, decided to get some help.

That's where he's headed now. He's walking towards the two teenagers who seem to have restored humanity in this world.

He stops in front of them, taking a deep breath, focusing all his power on one thing.

He taps Ariel on her shoulder, making her turn around, and the two teenager's attention was now on Greg. The two exchanged a look, hoping that Greg is finally accepting some help.

Greg kept looking at his feet, still trying to gain the power to do the one thing he has been wanting to do for so long.

Ariel puts a comforting hand on his shoulder, lowering her head to meet his eyes. She smiles kindly at him, as if welcoming him to a new light.

"Hey Greg." She says softly, the smile never leaving her face.

Her smile wasn't sympathetic like the ones everyone gave him. It was sincere and encouraging.

Nathaniel had a similar look on his own face.

"What's up buddy?" Nathaniel asked him, his voice soft as well.

He couldn't fight it anymore. Greg finally let down his guard. He let out the tears that were trapped behind his empty, lost soul.

He felt a lump in his throat, but he knew if he didn't do it now, he won't ever do it.

"I-" He let out a sound, his voice dry and cracked. 

"I can't fight on my own" He croaked out, his throat throbbing with every letter he said. It was the hardest thing he's ever done, but a huge weight was left off his shoulders. He felt as if he could breathe again, despite the waterfall of tears cascading down his -now rosy- cheeks.

Ariel and Nathaniel's eyes widened. This is the first time Greg has spoken since they've known him.

"Hey," Ariel placed a hand on his cheeks, wiping away the tears on his face. "You don't have to fight on your own."

"She's right." Nathaniel nodded, smiling at him, placing an encouraging hand on his shoulder. "We're here for you. And look at you, you're already halfway there." He grinned.

Ariel nodded, a grin forming on her own face.

"Greg, you just spoke." She stated happily.

That caused a small smile to form on the boy's face.

And so on the boy listened to every word the two had to offer him. He actually enjoyed their company.

Later that day when school ended, he went back home to his dad.

He opened the door, instantly seeing his dad in the kitchen from the open island. He felt a smile forming on his lips.

He believed he could do it.

And he did.

"Dad?"

The sound of a plate shattering was heard as Stanford turned sharply, his eyes wide and tears falling down his cheeks. He looked at his son with joy. His heart was beating rapidly.

His son talked to him. He heard his voice for the first time in ten years.

Stanford rushed to his son, engulfing him in a tight hug, both of them bursting into tears.

"I'm here, son. I love you so much, you have no idea" He cried, holding him tighter to himself, afraid to let go.

"I love you too, dad." Greg spoke out, his voice clear for the first time.

And like that, he was never alone once more.