Chapter 15 A Happy Thought

Start from the beginning

"They are permanent residents," Hermione elaborated sadly. "The death eaters kept torturing them with the cruciatus curse so much, they could not recover."

"Oh my god," I said, putting my hand over my mouth. "I can't believe Neville has been living with this the entire time. No one ever knew."

"Well, Harry found out last year through Dumbledore's memories," Ron pointed out.

Now, I completely understood Neville's determination in our D.A. meetings. He has more of a reason than anyone to want to fight. I supposed if Lenora was the person to help him become that fighter, then perhaps we did make the right decision to let her join.

"Hello, my dear, would you care for an autograph."

I turned my head and saw our former Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher had stepped right beside me.

"Oh, uh... sure," I said, politely.

"Everybody always does," he went on brightly. "I can't remember just why, but I feel like I am famous for something."

"Um huh," I said taking the autograph and stuffing it in my pocket. "Thanks for that."

As he trotted away, Ron commented, "Oh yeah, he's a permanent resident here too."

"I see," I muttered, gazing down where he just walked. "Is it sad, I would still prefer him as a teacher to Umbridge."

Lockhart was not much of an improvement. Most of his lessons were about himself and how he accomplished all his great achievements, which it turned out he did not really even do. Still, we at least got to use magic. That's a step up from Umbridge.

xXx

After we returned to school, the time seemed to fly by. I was now on the Quidditch team. Harry and Fred got into it with Malfoy leading to Umbridge to take them off the team. Professor McGonagall then humbly suggested I join the team. She pointed out an extra curricular activity might help me stay out of trouble. Later, she privately informed me I could take my aggression out on the bludger since I will be a Beater. Between Quidditch practice, D.A. meetings and detention, I felt like I had to extra time to spend with Morgan. Detentions, unfortunately, caused me to miss both D.A. meetings and Quidditch practices. Angelina, our team caption, did not bother to hide her frustration with me.

On Valentines Day I went to Hogsmeade with Morgan, so happy I could finally spend a day with him without Lenora anywhere around.

Morgan gave me a hug and then we kissed. We went into Three Broomsticks and saw Hermione there. She frowned and approached me.

"Uh, Melanie, what are you doing here?" she asked, quietly.

"It's Valentine's Day," I said, confused. "Isn't that the day couples spend together?"

"Yeah but Ron's at Quidditch practice now," Hermione pointed out. "Apparently it's supposed to go the whole day."

My jaw dropped. "What? I didn't know that! No one told me!"

I remembered I missed the last practice so I would not have known when the next would be.

"Angelina's going to kill me," I grumbled, kissing Morgan goodbye. "I'm so sorry, but I have to go."

"It's okay," Morgan muttered as I darted off.

"Hi Melanie," Lenora said as she passed by, heading towards Morgan.