8| h o p e i m n o t l a t e

| Hope I'm Not Late |

The rest of the weekend I spent indoors binging on Netflix

The rest of the weekend I spent indoors binging on Netflix. I was in bed most of the times and cuddled my covers, occasionally a bouncing blue, enthusiastic Ian or a zen Lili would join my moments of escalating excite as I would narrate them what has been going on in the specific episodes.

I did not hear from Ryan at all either, it feels like an unspoken veil has been drawn between us. Neither Lili nor Ian mentioned Ryan for the rest of the weekend either, and I am partially grateful for that except that my head is filled is with a plethora of questions.

"We have a fundraiser tonight at our parent's estate," Lili announces as I am trying the lace to my pink converse. "The reason I am telling you this, as you may wonder, is because you are invited. Mom has been nudging me all week to introduce you."

"Bu-"

"No buts, Mia. You are coming and that is it." She turns on her heels heads back to her room leaving me with my mouth hanging open. I quickly finish tying my laces to run after her into the kitchen, stumbling once along the way.

"Lil, my shift at the café does not get over till seven today. How will I ever manage to come to this event at the time? I do not have any fancy shmancy clothes to wear either," pouting my lips I stare at her. However, the reasons I mention to her are just mere excuses to avoid the impending doom if I do turn up there; it will not take long before someone or the other realizes from where I carry my genes to put two and two together.

A social event, as big as Foster's fundraiser, filled with paparazzi is a big no for me.

"You live with me and yet you worry about your clothing needs," Lili turns towards with an eyebrow raised and a can of orange juice in her hand. "As for the work thing, I'm sure they don't make you work for inhuman hours, considering it's eight in the morning now and they surely won't make you stay till eight at night," she justifies everything smoothly and takes two graceful strides over to the bar stool in the kitchen.

"When does your shift get over ?" Lili starts again sipping her juice and focusing her attention on her chipped nail paint.

"Around five."

"Perfect, that gives us ample time to get ready and arrive in style at the fundraiser," she says flashing me a hopeful grin.

I blink at her for a few times before gulping down the lump in my throat. I remind myself to breathe.

These are the kind of things for which I should find myself a place as soon as I can. Things like these will only help peak my anxiety when my mother had clearly told me not to make public appearances. Living with the Fosters is far from living a discreet life.

"Hey, are you listening?" Lili asks again as she looks at me with a frown on her forehead.

"Sorry," I mumble. "I didn't hear you."