"Mistakes have been made"

T H I R T E E N

Nathaniel

You're drowning, it's cold.

It's so so cold...

You're trying to breathe.

Breathe! Breathe!

BREATHE GODDAMN IT!

I jump up, sweat covering the base of my neck and soaking my pillows. I rest my head on my knees as i try to take slow calming breaths.

I keep having reoccurring nightmares, and it's never the same thing, it gets worse each time.

I still feel the cold water, I still hear screams I still hear my mother calling out to me.

I even hear myself scream out as if my soul jumped out of my lifeless body and yelled at me to live. To survive.

It takes me a few seconds to see a curtain of dark, wavy hair over the face of a small frame sitting on the coffee table beside me, holding their nose.

My eyes widen "fuck! are you okay?" I reach out, anna chuckles "I should be asking you that" I blink as if life is flashing before me yet again.

She's been here the whole time.

She definitely heard my screams.

I rush to my feet and sprint to my room, slamming the door behind me and falling against it.

She can't know your secret Nate.

Don't expose yourself.

I knew i should've chose to live alone, but I couldn't afford it.

I sit down with headphones on the edge of my bed and blast music as I stare at the pale blue, almost white ceiling.

Minutes pass by in a blur as I close my eyes and concentrate on the music.

As well as trying not to fall asleep again...

I hear soft footsteps across the wooden floors in the living room when I take my headphones off after almost an hour.

I need coffee, and loads of it.

I cautiously step out of my room, however, I have no clue why I'm being so sneaky when I'm fairly sure Anna can hear me.

Keeping my head low, I walk past her and straight to the coffee pot. I switch it on and stare at it as it brews, refusing to look directly at her.

I know she's dying to ask me questions, I can see the look she's giving me. She's trying to be subtle so I'll give her credit for that.

She rummages around and I just stand there like a creep side-eyeing her but somehow staring at the cabinet in front of me. Anna opens the cabinet to my left and for a second I think she's going to smack the door against my face as revenge for headbutting her in the nose but she just looks around and gets on her tippy toes.

Even though she's relatively tall she still can't reach the back of the cabinet and I find that fucking adorable.

My admiration only last about half a minute before I'm doused in what seems to be a type of flower, corn I think?

She looks at me with horror-filled eyes "shit I'm so sorry! I was just trying to get the pancake-" she stretches her arm outward to me, I grab the box and thrust it into her hand.

I'm mad at myself now, I have no idea why but I am.

Actually, I'm mad at every fucking thing.

"Get out of my way," I say in a low monotonous tone, my fists and jaw clenching so hard I surprise myself