Scott looked slightly surprised at his father's concern but replied, "It's no big deal."

But it was to Raphael. He swore, "I'm keeping my promises this time."

Scott smiled softly and nodded in understanding. Though, his eyes accidentally got caught on the evidence bag in his father's hand. Raphael followed his gaze and let out a deep sigh. "What I did...was necessary. Justifiable. You know that right?" The last thing Raphael wanted was for his son to think of him as a murderer.

One question echoed in Scott's mind that he spoke into existence. "Have you, you know, done it before?"

Letting out a heavy breath, Raphael nodded. "Two other times. It's not easy...taking a man's life. Even if someone forces you to do it."

"But how do you deal with it?" Scott wanted to know.

"You look at it logically, without emotion," Raphael said first, going over his own process. "You compartmentalize."

"How do you do that?"

Raphael responded guiltily, forcing a smile, "I used to do it by drinking."

In that moment, Scott understood his father more than he had in the past. Scott never knew the reason behind the late nights or the multiple beers on the kitchen table came from a stressful work environment with emotional tethers. So, when his dad hugged him, Scott hugged him back just as tightly.

Their relationship wasn't perfect, and it wasn't fixed

Their relationship wasn't perfect, and it wasn't fixed. But these little steps being taken gave Scott hope that maybe one day, they would get there.

"One more thing," Raphael spoke once they released one another. "When I do come back, we have to talk about some stuff."

Scott furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding. "You and your friends?" his dad asked, Scott's body immediately tensing as he listened. "The way you guys handle things? It doesn't seem to faze you like it should. It's like you guys know something I don't."

Because we do know something you don't, Scott replied mentally, though maintained his composure. Scott didn't want his dad involved in the crazy life he lived; after all, his mom was more involved than he wanted already. But when Raphael asked to be in the know, Scott just nodded his head.

Before he left with his dad, a buzz from his phone made him pause. He dug out his phone to see a text from Sierra.

Earlier, he had messaged her with a potential plan. Both of them wanted to catch the Benefactor, desperately, but this plan held risks. Scott didn't know if she'd be on board and for it to work, she needed to be all in. There was also the anger she held against him and Stiles for lying about Malia. Though, he should've known Sierra was the type of person to bury her personal feelings for the greater good.

He shouldn't have been surprised by her response.

From: Sisi

I'm in.