Background Story

Evelynn

"Where are you going Mummy?" A three year old girl asked her mother, as she watched the older lady move around the kitchen; collecting many objects as she did so.

"Mummy's gonna have to go away for a while sweetie," she replied as she walked over to her daughter and crouched down so she was level with the girl who was perched on top of the table. "But there will be some people who will take care of you, very good care of you." The little girl watched as a tear drop slowly slid down the women who she loved's cheek.

"Why are you crying Mummy?" The little girl reached up and wiped her mother's tear away with her tiny hand.

"Because Mummy's not sure if she'll see you again, ever." She choked out the last word. She watched as her little princess' lips started to tremble and eyes fill up with tears.

"W-w-why Mummy? Did Evelynn do something wrong?" The little girl asked as two tears ran down her cheeks.

"No, of course you didn't Evie. Mummy's very ill, and she needs special people to take care of her." She tried to explain the best she could to her little three year old, she wouldn't understand what the word "drugs" is. Tamzin Shermane was a drug addict, a servere drug addict; and she had been amitted to rehab by the doctor's at the hospital.

"Am I not special enough to look after you Mummy? Me and Lee have always done it before, why can't we do it now?" The toddler sobbed as she grabbed onto her Mummy's hands and didn't let go. Lee was one of her brother's, even though he was just six years old; he understood what drugs were. Their older brother Jace had told him all about it, after all he was twelve years old; and move in with their dad once he found out what their mother was doing.

"Of course you are special, sweetie. But Mummy needs special help from doctor's, doctor's who know how to look after someone as poorly as me." Even though Tamzin was just 32, she looked like she was 52. She had been a drug addict since she split with her abusive boyfriend, her children's father, she turned to the special powder and needles that took all the pain away.

There was a knock at the door. Social Services. 

"Who's that Mummy?" Evelynn asked as she looked up at her mother with her deep blue eyes. The mother of three picked up her youngest and sat her on her hip, walking out the kitchen and towards the front door.

"These are the people who are going to take care of you while Mummy's away." Tamzin Shermane was holding back the water droplets that were begging to crawl out her eyes and down her cheeks. She opened the door and there stood Gina and Mike, the care workers. 

"Hello there," Mike spoke up first as he looked towards Evelynn. "My name's Mike and this is Gina," Gina smiled warmly at the little girl. 

"We're going to take very good care of you," Gina spoke up. "Is that alright darling?" Evelynn slowly nodded her head as he mother put her down. Tamzin crouched down to eye level with her, the tears now running freely down her cheeks.

"Take good care of yourself, darling." The three year old bowed her head down as tears were pouring out her eyes and sobs were escaping her lips. "Hey," three fingers were placed under her chin and tilted up; forcing her to look at the woman whom she adored the most. "Keep your head up princess, your tiara's falling." Evelynn leaned forward and kissed her Mummy on the cheek before wrapping her arms around her shoulders and burying her head into the crook between her neck and shoulder.

The 32 yr old slowly rubbed her only daughter's back, knowing that this was going to be the last time that she held her precious little gift in her arms for a long time; maybe even forever. They slowly pulled away from each other, Tamzin slowly leading her little girl towards Gina.

"Bu-bye Mummy," The little diamond to her mother's eye sobbed, waving her hand as Gina led her to the car; Mike carrying the two suitcases and three bags of her belongings. Tamzin waved back, smiling at the little girl who she knew has a great future ahead of her. She watched as the car pulled out of the driveway and down the road, carrying the little girl who she might never see again. She closed the door, and slowly slid down to the floor. Her little girl had just been taken away by social services.

Thirty minutes later five doctors knocked on the door of 44 Bruton Way and collected the drug addict of a mother, and take her to a place known as rehab. Or prison to some. At least, that's what Tamzin Louise Shermane thought of it as.