(43) Are you still counting the days?

➵ f o u r t y  t h r e e 

[the following days are in the present tense and are a continuation to the chapter before, this isn't a flashback nor a future glance, this basically captures the moving days in a few words.]

 day 6 

I feel my eyes flutter open, feeling a heaviness over my arm. I look to my side to see Ally drapped over my arm, fast asleep. Last night had been a blur and hopefully, I'll get an explanation when she wakes up. I drove back to my neighbourhood, rushing from the diner and to her house to find her crying uncontrollably. She stepped into my car and hadn't muttered a word since then. I took it well, seeing that if I was as much of a mess as her I'd want someone to care for me for a little. I walked into the bathroom for a little bit only to find her laying on my bed fast asleep, so I just let her, she seemed tired anyway.

I stay below the covers, thinking over to myself about the possibilities on what Ally could have went through the previous night, and I think I have a pretty good idea judging by the nuemerous dark bruises painted along her arms and neck. I gulp to myself, hoping and praying what I believe isn't true.

A while later, Ally starts to shuffle from her sleep and eventually, she sits up with warning, a fearful look in her eyes. She finally spots me sitting beside her and her eyes shoot up to mine. "How long have I been here? How did I even get here?" she asks, a puzzled look playing on her features. 

"You called me last night crying to pick you up," I try to refresh her memory, speaking as gentle and cautiously as I am able to, "then you just fell asleep before you can tell me what happened." I conclude. 

Her eyes fall to her lap as she crosses her legs and swifts to sit more forward to my position, now facing me. I wait a few seconds for her to speak, but she doesn't. Instead she drags her fingers through her locks and grazes them over multiple times before I hear her sigh loudly. 

"Ally," I warn.

"What?" she moans. 

"Tell me what happened, and don't fucking lie to me about it," I grit through my teeth. I can't handle anyone else lying to me, about anything for that matter. 

"Nothing happened! I just had a bad day, stop dragging your ass into my problems," she scoffs, now looking me right in my eyes with her hands crossed above her chest. 

"I'm dragging myself into your problems?" I yell, "you called me crying, begging to pick you up and I'm the one dragging myself?" sarcasm drips from my voice, fury filling me with every word she mutters in return.

"Well no one fucking forced you to!" she defends. 

"Not everyone's just as bad of a friend as you, Ally, I actually worry about you, I still fucking care about you for gods sake! You can't just stop caring about someone just because they left and you especially don't fucking bully them because of your own damn problems!" I scream, catching Ally by surprise. 

Her tongue rolls over the top line of her teeth as her dripping eyes water her red blushy cheeks. I sit there for a moment to contemplate what I've said, and before I could gather my brain together, I see her legs swinging off my bed and to the floor. She jumps off straightens her clothes. 

"Leave me alone, okay?" she tries to convince me with a soft tone, swiping her hair to the side of her shoulders with her hands out in warning. 

"I know you, and I know you damn well to know that those bruises weren't an accident, so no, I won't leave you alone, at least not until you fucking have the courage to admit to being better than what's happening to you and tell me."