Chapter Eighteen - The Cross Country Finally Arrives

“Well, well, well,” she laughed. “How are my badboys doing?”

The girl had her head cocked to one side, one arm on her hip. Something about her looked very familiar. Awfully familiar. Way too familiar to be a coincidence, but I couldn’t put my finger on what it was.

“Is this legal?” Ace asked.

“Sure it is,” she replied.

“You don’t even go here,” Hunter exclaimed.

“Well, I had to come see Carla off,” she smirked, walking towards the group.

“You know, if you try to attack me again, I will flip you without hesitation,” Ace warned.

“I know, I know. You tell me every time I’m within two metres of you.”

She stopped when she noticed the short figure – ie me – behind them. She looked at me strangely, as though studying a new specimen of bug. “Hi, I’m Riley,” she grinned.

“Hi, I’m Cathy?” I replied uncertainly.

“So what exactly are you doing here again?” Dean asked.

“Carla was moving here, and I thought it’d be the perfect opportunity to see my baby brother,” she smiled.

“You’re a minute and a half older than me. What the hell are you on about?” Dean snapped.

So that was why she looked so familiar. They didn’t look alike enough to be twins though; their eyes were similar but that was about as close as they got. She had that same air of mischief, but personality wasn’t really part of it. They were fraternal twins. I didn’t even know Dean had any siblings, let alone a twin. In fact, I didn’t know much about any of their families. Without saying a word, Dylan left the group. Riley’s eyes followed after him for a bit, but she quickly focused her attention back to the other guys.

“Dylan’s same old Dylan, huh?” She said quietly, almost to herself. No one said anything and it was a while before Dean piped up again.

“Why don’t you get your ass to school? We’re going in soon, and visitors are not welcome,” he said.

“That’s no way to treat your big sister. But yeah, I need to get going. Things to do, places to go, people to see. I’m sure I’ll see you guys soon,” she said, waving. She looked at Hunter. “Oh come on, you know you want a hug,” she laughed.

She swung an arm over his shoulder and he swung one over hers. There was a semi brief hugging thing before they parted and she gave each of them one, except Dean, whom she gladly punched in the arm.

Visiting time was over and classes had started. Carla was only in my chemistry class, but for some reason, it was bothering me. I got to class on time, as usual, only to find her already perched in my seat.

Holding back my glare, I smiled casually and walked down to the back bench where Archer sat. “Does anyone sit next to you?” I asked.

“Nope,” he replied, pushing his books to the side. I took the seat next to his and opened up my books. “So, how’ve you been?”

“Pretty normal. Nothing exciting. You?”

“Same old, same old,” he said. I nodded, even though I knew that life for him definitely wasn’t the same old. As usual, Hunter and the rest of the badboys were late. I watched the looks of surprise on their faces when they realised my seat was occupied by Carla. Hunter’s eyes darted to the empty seat beside me. I quickly pushed my books over to cover that area of the table.