Chapter Thirteen - The Results Are Out

"How does working here while waiting sound?" Ace asked.
"Do I get paid?"
"No."
"Bummer. Whatever, yeah," I agreed.
"Hey Matt, she's helping out," he said to the guy next to him.

Ace took me around behind the counter and showed me how to operate the cash register and count prize tickets. "So, which job do you want?" He asked.
"I like counting prize tickets. I don't have to talk to people," I laughed.
"I see. Antisocial."
"Pfft...Whatever Ace."
"Well, I'll leave you to it. I am getting paid so I should at least do my job."

The first customers had started to stream in and only one prize claimer had come to the counter. Ace passed me the long string of tickets and I fed the into the counting machine, watching as the numbers on the digital screen rose.

The image of Archer walking into the cinema flashed back into my mind.Archer had changed. I wasn't stupid enough to think that I was the only one, but there was some weird hope in the back of my mind that he actually liked me.

Sadly, that hope had gone up in flames just half an hour ago. The weird thing was, I wasn't even that upset or disappointed. I didn't even get myself.

"Cathy, how many are there?" Ace asked. I returned to reality, realising that machine had finished counting already.
"One hundred and thirty," I replied. "Sorry," I mumbled.

The day passed quicker than I had expected and this job was not as mundane as I had expected either.

"Well, that was fun," Ace said sarcastically as he left to change out of his work uniform. I was left standing at the front by myself, and well, I was pretty damn socially awkward.

"Would you consider a job here?" Matt asked.
"It doesn't seem like a bad job, but studying really takes up all of my time," I replied.

The door of the room behind the counter opened and Ace returned. "Let's go," he said, leading the way.
"Okay. Thanks for letting me stay here for a while," I said to Matt.
"No worries, feel free to come back any time."
"Do not feel free to come back any time," Ace said, ushering me along.

We headed back out to the front of the shopping centre, waiting by the bus stop. Numerous buses passed by but we didn't get on any.

"What are we waiting for?" I asked.
"Bus three six seven," he answered. "It only comes once a day at exactly one forty five," he added. "Look, here it comes."

Ace stuck out his arm and the bus stopped in front of us. We got on, paid for the tickets and found a seat near the back. Sadly, there was only one empty seat. "Um," I mumbled.
"Just sit down," he said, shoving me into the spot beside the window. We sat awkwardly side by side as the bus. I fiddled with my thumbs to fill the awkward silence.

"Our stop's coming up in a few minutes. We're three stops away I think," he said.
"What is it?" I asked, my interest sparked.
"You'll see," he grinned.

Two stops away, he suddenly stood up. "Oh no, I think we just missed the stop," he said, frantically pressing the 'stop' button on the pole.
"We did what?" I asked.

The bus stopped and we got out, one stop away. "On the bright side, this stop is relatively close to the other stop. Especially when you compare it with the distance between normal stops."
"Seriously? That's the bright side? It's like a kilometre away!"
"That is close for distance between two stops," he reiterated. "Let's get walking." He moved off first while I stood there, gaping at how he'd managed to miss the stop.
"Well, if you're not going to walk, do I have to piggyback you?"
"I'm walking," I spat out, speed walking forward.

My legs were aching and my shins felt like they were about to snap in half. I wasn't tired, just in pain. Extensive cross country training could do that to you.
"How much further, buddy?" I asked.
"For a person on the cross country team, you're not very good at what you do," he said, turning back to look at my suffering.
"Well, sir, the wonderful training has been keeping my legs in regular pain."

We continued walking with me trailing behind him. All of a sudden, he stopped and nearly sent me crashing into him. "We're here," he said.
"Well, thank the Lord," I grumbled.

I looked around. The cars flew by us as we stood behind the walking barrier on the bridge. I turned and looked over the railing that was surprisingly low. The water was crystal clear blue. "Dude, when I said I was miserable, I didn't say I wanted to die," I said.