Chapter Twenty Four - The Repercussions of Our Actions

Chapter Twenty Four – The Repercussions of Our Actions

Ella POV

Ella peered into Geography where the class had already settled in. Monica and Abbey were busily chatting away and Ella quickly excused herself and headed towards her usual seat. "I heard that Cathy –" Abbey whispered before immediately quietening as Ella sat down.

"Ssssh!" Monica hissed.

Ella raised an eyebrow and leaned in closer. "Heard what? C'mon. Share the gossip," Ella insisted.

"Nah, nah. It's fine," Monica reassured.

"Come on. You guys know I can either give you details or give you the actual story," Ella continued.

"Alright!" Abbey exclaimed. Monica glared at her, but she didn't heed the warning. "So rumour has it, Cathy's been hooking up with Ace and Hunter!"

"What!?" Ella shrieked.

"Is it true?"

"No!"

"Yeah. See? I told you she wouldn't do that," Monica shouted, hitting Abbey on the arm.

A million thoughts swirled through Ella's mind. The party had been Friday night and come Monday morning, rumours were already swirling around everywhere. Who'd had the guts to make up something like that?

Cathy didn't even talk to anyone else.

"Who told you this crap?" Ella snapped.

"Sarah told me this morning. Everyone's been talking about it though," Abbey shrugged.

"Ok, quiet class!" Ms Barker yelled. The class did as they were commanded. Even though the vibrant discussion about the city and its planned changes was going on, Ella couldn't concentrate. She was determined to find out who'd started the rumour.

She continued trying to pry details from the other two, but ended up being shooshed multiple times and being sent to sit alone at the back of the class.

Ella rushed out of the class as soon as she was dismissed and ran into Dean in the hallway. She dragged him over to the side. "Have you heard!?" She shouted.

His friends looked over at them, smirking and wiggling their eyebrows. "Oi, get lost," he said to them, waving his books in their direction. "Heard what?" He asked, turning back to Ella.

"There's some rumour about Cathy and Hunter and Ace. Hooking up, making out, I don't even know! She's going to freak if she finds out!"

"Are you serious? My boys haven't heard anything. They would've said something."

"Help me find out who started the rumour, okay?"

"Too easy."

The creases on her forehead didn't ease as she clutched her books tightly. "Yeah, I'll see you later," she replied, walking off.

"Ella?" He said. She turned around. "Don't worry too much," he smiled. She smiled back and they parted ways.

There was one class before recess, before she would see Cathy. Luckily, the class was sport – the hub of gossip and all things floating around in the social circles.

~

Cathy POV

Everyone had been staring at me strangely for the entirety of maths, and I could've sworn people were talking about me. Then again, I had always been particularly paranoid about this, even though people never even spoke about me.