Chapter Thirty Eight - The School Ball

Chapter Thirty Eight – The School Ball

With the exams all over, I could finally sit on the couch and breathe. I opened my laptop, and for the first time in eons, I wasn't automatically opening up a textbook or typing up notes. There was, however, something new to stress about: the school ball.

I'd completely put off buying a dress since the wave of exams hit, and the last time I'd browsed was just after the mid-year exams. Ella had already bought hers, and it was sitting in her wardrobe, all neatly ironed, ready for the big night. She was wearing a simple baby blue strapless gown. It was flowy and floor length, slightly cinched at the waist with a sash around it.

Ella and Dean had coordinated the colours of their outfits just before the school exams had started. I probably should have bought a dress then, but then again, I wouldn't have known what Hunter was wearing. Then again, we wouldn't have had to coordinate.

Green. Like his eyes.

That was the colour I wanted to wear.

An emerald, maybe mint green because of my skin tone.

Just then, the phone rang, and like a charm, the ringtone for him in particular sang and his face popped up on the screen.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Instant pick up. Nice," he commented. "I'm starting to think you don't have anything to do now that exams are over."

"Yeah okay Hunter. Very funny."

"Anyway, what colour is your ball gown?" He asked.

"Why? I haven't even bought it yet."

"You're obligated to be my ball date, and I'd like to match my tie." I could imagine him beaming proudly. Hm. So this is how 'official' felt.

"Mint green," I spat out.

"Mint green. Hm. Okay. Talk to you later," he said before hanging up.

So, I guess I was wearing mint green. The ball was in a week's time on Saturday night, so I had to buy my ball gown the coming weekend. My mum was free Saturday and Sunday, so she could help me choose one. My dad could have a look at it when he came home.

"Leaving it to the last minute? That's not like you," Ella gushed. "So, what kind of tie is Hunter wearing?"

"I don't know. He called me before and asked me what colour dress I was wearing, but he didn't say anything else."

"This is so cute!" She beamed. "My best friend finally has a boyfriend!"

"Thanks."

"I never doubted you," she added quickly with a cheeky grin.

"I'm going ball dress shopping tomorrow."

"Why am I not invited?"

"It's a surprise. My mum's going to come with me. Hopefully they'll have my size and everything in time."

My mum and I ended up spending the entire Saturday out, and I officially had a ball gown. It was in a plastic garment bag, alone in the middle of my wardrobe. I'd moved everything else to the side to make way for it.

It was actually mint green with a sweetheart neckline. There was a sash around the waist and the sides gathered upwards, forming a stream-like, rounded shape. 

I wondered what Hunter was going to wear.

---

The pre-ball was at Dylan's house, and he was waiting outside by the black limo. Dean and Ella had organised the limo and photographer; we just had to chip in. The pre-ball was pretty sad considering overall, we'd have about seven people there.