Life is a Lie

I do not own anything except for Brie and Adam. Enjoy the chapter!

BRIE'S POV

"Gustave!" I called as he ran far ahead of me. "Please slow down!"

"Leave me alone!"

I could hear the tears in his scream, and it broke my heart. I forced my legs to move faster, but there was no such thing as sprinting in heels and floor length ball gown. At least I wasn't wearing a corset. I probably would've passed out by now. I continued to call to Gustave, hoping he would stop and let me try to explain, but he would only cry harder as he fled from me. Not that I would give up. Even after tripping a couple of times, I kept following behind him. I'm not sure how long or how far we ran until Gustave finally fell to the ground in sobs.

I took a deep breath to slow my heart rate and sat down next to my nephew. "Gustave, what you heard... I know you're confused and scared, but please, let me explain..."

He turned and looked up at me, eyes red and full of tears. "Why were you with Mr. Y? Why would you say you're not Brieanna Daae?"

I suddenly lost all words and felt my own tears start to fall. And then he asked me the most terrifying and heartbreaking question of all.

"Have you been lying to us, Auntie?"

I reached out to him but paused when I saw him flinch away. Gustav's movement suddenly overcome with a memory that was kept in the shadows of my mind for years.

"Have you gorged yourself at last in your lust for blood?"

Erik turned around to see me slowly walking down the stairs. His eyes widened at the sight of me in the beautiful wedding dress he had made for me, a dress that fit my body perfectly.

"Am I now to be prey for your lust for flesh?"

Erik walked up to me as he sang out, "That fate which condemns me to wallow in blood... Has also denied me, the joys of the flesh."

His fingers reached out to caress my face, but I recoiled in fear that he might lash out at me again. I kept my face turned away from his fingers as he sorrowfully sighed and felt him caress one strand my long brown hair.

"This face...the infection which poisons our love."His lyric brought my eyes back to his in shock.

I gasped and placed my hand over my mouth. Gustav looked at me curiously but still scared. His reaction reminded me of how I acted with Erik. I could feel the guilt, the pain, the remorse.

I looked into Gustav's eyes and said softly, "I am so sorry."

I found myself crumbling to the ground as my legs trembled. I wanted to take him into my arms to comfort him, but I knew we both were too emotional. After a few moments, I took a deep breath and said softly, "Remember how much you love coming to all my performances? How each song tells a story and a completely different world comes to life on stage?"

Gustav slowly nodded his head and replied meekly, "Yes, my favorite one is when you were Carmen."

My eyebrows rose up in confusion. Carmen? Like Carmen Sandiego ... Oh, he means the opera 'Carmen.' Cool, I was in Carmen! No, focus Brie! Go back to helping Gustave understand. I smiled at him as I saw he finally calmed down.

"Yes, exactly like Carmen. So, imagine you make a wish to be in your favorite show. Close your eyes and tell me where you are."

He looked at me skeptically before obeying. He closed his eyes and said softly, "I see a battlefield. I am standing in the middle and someone is pointing his sword at me. Someone pushes me away and it was my best friend. I was crying and angry that my friend died in my arms."