chapter nine

"Hey, cutie." Frank smiled once Gerard walked through the bakery doors, holding his notebook to his chest and his hood up with the little cat ears poking out.

Frank had something in his eye Gerard couldn't recognise, and his lips rested in a soft smile which made Gerard blush at the heartwarming expression the boy was wearing.

"You look really cute today," Frank smirked, "well, you look cute everyday."

"Uh- thank you." Gerard chocked out avoiding eye contact, making himself arguably cuter in Frank's perspective.

They stayed silent for a few moments, just taking in each other's presence. But soon a line of people started to form behind Gerard, and he knew if he wanted to avoid any confrontation with strangers; he had to move.

"I'm gonna go wait over there." He mumbled to Frank, who just nodded and smiled warmly.

And just as Gerard turned to go to his signature seat he heard Frank call him back.

"Gee- maybe after my shift we can go get ice cream?" He proposed shyly.

Gerard blushed and nodded, "I'd like that."

- -

It had been an hour and a half and Gerard had drawn a few characters, feeling content with himself. In between serving customers, Frank had checked on him and complimented his work. Which caused him to smile shyly and mumble little 'no's at the kind words.

It wasn't until later that an unfamiliar man took a seat opposite Gerard, smirking at him, making Gerard confused.

"Hey." The stranger smiled, making Gerard tilt his head in confusion.

"Hey."

"Whattcha doing over there?" He asked, clearly wanting to keep this conversation going, much to Gerard's obvious discomfort.

"Drawing," Gerard mumbled, "why?"

The latter merely shrugged and kept staring, "You're so cute." He blurted out.

Gerard blushed a deep red, offering a small smile but feeling his insides twist uncomfortably. "Uh th-thank you?"

"I'm Bob by the way." The stranger stated, without any prompt. Gerard nodded softly, really not knowing what to say.

"Gerard." He chocked out.

"That's a pretty name," Bob smirked.

Gerard merely shook his head, "it's really not." He chuckled.

"Sure it is, a pretty name for a pretty boy."

His cheeks flared red and he sunk in his seat, pushing a piece of hair behind one of his ears shyly.

"I-"

"Gee, w-who's this?" A voice that belonged to none other than Frank asked as Gerard went to talk. Frank having an expression of sadness splattered across his face, and what Gerard made out to be an expression of longing.

And Frank had been behind the counter putting his apron in the small drawer when he saw the man sit next to Gerard. It not only made his stomach twist in immense jealousy but when he saw the man make Gerard blush he felt quite sad, and looked down frowning to himself.

He knew Gerard wasn't exactly his but he liked to think he was the only man in the boy's life that, well thought of him in that way.