chapter two

The three boys walked happily into town, Gerard clutching his sketchbook close to his chest while Mikey and Pete clutched each other's hands.

"So, while Pete and I go shopping you can go to the comic book store, Gee." Mikey said.

Though younger, Mikey was always more responsible and well put together than his brother.

"Okay." Gerard grinned, showing all his little teeth as he walked in the opposite direction of the two happily.

"Call me when you're done!" Mikey yelled at the happy boy.

Gerard merely nodded and kept skipping, crossing many stores and restaurants on his way. Once he reached his favourite destination, he quickly opened the door and crept inside, feeling at home in the darkish environment filled to the brim with comics.

Right as he got there he spotted Ray, who was behind the cash register reading the newest edition of Superman.

"Hi, Ray." Gerard greeted softly when he saw his friend. Ray's head immediately snapped up to face Gerard's.

"Hey, Gee." Ray responded with a laugh. Gerard smiled again before walking to the back of the store, ready to get indulged in the wonders of fiction.

- -

It was around two hours later when Gerard received a phone call from Mikey, informing him that they had now finished their shopping spree at the supermarket.

Gerard was actually beyond curious as to why it took the two boys hours to do simple food shopping.

Gerard got up, having copied down a few villains and heroes he admired before walking slowly out of the bookstore. Right as he did he spotted a group of girls walking his way, staring him up and down while whispering to each other, holding nothing but venom with their words.

He clutched the book even tighter as one of them bumped his shoulder roughly with her own. He gulped, feeling his okay mood completely deflate and his insecurities flow back.

He quickly made his way to Mikey and Pete, leaving his head down, not wanting to attract anymore attention from anyone. Once he reunited with them, he looked up at the two concerned boys with a small frown.

Pete decided to speak up first, hating the fact that his friend looks upset, "What's wrong, kiddo?"

"I'm fine," Gerard sighed, frowning deeper. He rolled his shoulders before commenting again "I'm older than you by the way."

Pete laughed, "I know, I know."

But he felt his laughter stop when he remembered the first part of what was a very obvious lie.

Mikey seemed to have noticed as well because he looked at Pete with an unhappy look.

"Hey I have an idea!" Mikey said after a few minutes of thinking. "why don't we go walk around a bit, we can go to get candy if you want!"

Gerard looked  up at Mikey, his expression unchanged. "I don't-" 

"No come on, Gee! You'll love it." Mikey interrupts his brother's sentence, "plus I want some cake anyway."

Gerard couldn't  stop the little giggle slipping his mouth at that last part. The two other boys' faces breaking into smiles at the sound of laughter coming from Gerard, and Mikey takes that as permission to go to a dessert place.

As the three are walking, all the sudden a loud gaps leaves Pete's lips, followed by squealing noises. "Oh my God! Oh my God! Look- there's offers on Basses!"

Mikey's head snapped up and he faced the music store Pete was gushing over, and his eyes lit up. "Oh my-"

He took a deep breath quickly turning to Gerard, handing him ten dollars, "Geebear, here's the money to buy candy or anything you desire- we'll be here." He says gesturing to the store.

Gerard went to argue but just ended up nodding weakly, Mikey nodded at his brother before grabbing Pete's shirt collar and running into the store.

Gerard sighed sadly at the thought of being some arran boy, but he realised it was just because his brother and Pete were just excited, they didn't mean to make Gerard feel insignificant.