13 [goodbye.]

The sound of Sengoku's steps was the only one in the rolling cabin, as the man walked up and down the perimeter of the room.

Tsuru sat at the small desk in front of you, while Fujitora stayed in a corner, legs crossed and his katana resting against his shoulder.

«What was that, captain?» Sengoku finally breathed, stopping his restless strides.

Your eyes didn't move from the ceiling.

«Attacking the enemy.»

«Against my orders?»

«There was a storm, I was up in the crow's nest, I haven't hear–»

«[Y/n].»

You stopped talking.

«Cut the bullshit.»

You were sitting on a solitary chair, in the middle of the cabin. Your head was abandoned over the seatback, and your gaze was fixed on the ceiling.

«That's not it. I just wanted to say...» Heat tilted his head to watch the sun slide beyond the waves «I wouldn't have minded being your brother.»

«[Y/n]? Are you listening?»

Tsuru's voice cut through your clouded mind and you frowned imperceptibly.

«Yes.»

Sengoku let out a frustrated sigh.

«You make things very hard for yourself, don't you, girl.»

«Talk to us, [Y/n].» Tsuru said «What you did tonight is serious. Not only you ignored the orders of our Inspector General, but you forced all of us to back you up, dragging the whole platoon in a dangerous fight. With such an important shipment on board.»

You didn't move, nor answer.

«With your record of insubordination, this might be an even bigger problem. However, your recent experience it's a mitigating circumstance. But you have to talk to us, explain what's going on in your head.»

«It's not your fault if you had no other option when you were just a child. It's not because you were not enough that you were alone. It's not because you were not enough that you were abandoned.»

You bit down your lip, unable to speak.

«[Y/n],» Killer made a brief pause «you're so much more than enough, and you're the only person on this ship who doesn't know that.»

They still waited for an answer, but it didn't come.

«I'm sure the captain is still dealing with her PTSD at the moment.» Fujitora added quietly «She just received some upsetting news, after all.»

«"Sorry sorry" won't do!» the Mohican grumbled «Next time you stop breathing, I'm kicking your ass back to life!»

«Oh, shut up, girl!» Booka blurted «I'm fucking free to do what I want with my life. If I want to jump after you, I jump after you and you don't have a say on the matter!»