Chapter 7

Sweet as Venom

Chapter 7

I was never really great when it came to feelings. In fact when it came to emotions I just sucked. I never could understand why dad never cried when he lost mum. I never got it why Leigh would hide his emotions from me.

Then I was no better. I still remember crying into my pillows of a night. It was easier to put on a front then admit you were struggling.

I reached for the bottle of vodka and twisted the cap.

I guess when it came down to it, I didn't like others seeing a side of me that wasn't strong or bullet proof.

I pushed open the cabin door and began to walk down the small path to the bins. I had planned on just taking out the rubbish that was till I saw a bared back man sitting on top of one of the picnic tables.

It had been a stinking hot day and only now as the sun had set was it finally cooling down.

I dropped the plastic bag in the rubbish and slowly walked over to him.

"Good night for it." I glanced up at the stars which seemed to have all his attention.

He turned back to look at me. His lips splitting into a half grin.

"It's finally cooling down." He exhaled sharply on a cigarette, the smoke slowly escaping his lips.

"Sorry about earlier with your truck if I caused a problem." I stepped up on the bench and sat next to him.

Saxon's eyes locked with mine and it was as if he could see straight through me- and I hated it.

"See you have some clothes on now." He smirked and handed me the lit cigarette.

"Good thing or bad thing?" I smirked back at him, taking it.

He shrugged his shoulders but gave me a smile that could buckle knees.

God when he looked like that.

I shallowed sharply. Just try and keep your cool I repeated to myself.

"Your brother will be back tomorrow."

"Thanks for reminding me."

"Irish still doesn't like the idea of you working for us but he will come around."

"Leigh doesn't like the idea that I'm growing up or more importantly impacting his way of life."

"His way of life?"

"Yeah his freedom. I'm like a big fat responsibility in his eyes and he hates it. He never wanted to look after his little sister."

"I think you take care of yourself, don't you?"

I thought I did but I doubted that was how Leigh saw it. "I think Leigh sees it differently. You're meant to be his hide away from the world, which is why I need to think about moving on."

"Moving on? You just got here." Something changed in his voice. As if he didn't like the idea of me leaving.

"I'm putting you out." I gave him a flat look. "You're the president of a motorcycle gang that deals in criminal activities the last thing you want is some needy teenage around."

"You aren't needy."

"I'm using your cottage."

"Which would be empty if you weren't in it."

"So it really doesn't bother you I'm here."

I don't know how it happened or when it happened but I somehow had moved closer to him; or maybe he moved closer to me.