18.1 | Bullets and Hand Grenades |

He smiles upon the fated and smites the fraying opinions caught between wrong and right

He smiles upon the fated and smites the fraying opinions caught between wrong and right. Giving judgment, the cruelest of kinds while simultaneously destroying those who carefully construct their lives.

A Fate has smiled upon you.

Let the fates smile upon you.

Old, archaic and damning words.

I remember when lore and legend began surfacing to support the figures men built up. The original sins. The saints they still carve in stone to this very day.

I am not the one he smiles upon, yet it is for Lindon's sake that perishing doesn't chase me.

The King of the Fates, the father of justice.

Karma.

Daniel has been silent since that night. Speaking when necessary and bringing with it the weight of unspoken grief he no longer attempts to hide. It worsens when he looks at me, almost prepared to sob again when making eye contact.

Surely he doesn't know I've solved the puzzle.

Predator and prey.

Feeling watched while keeping an eye on everything taking in breath.

Time feels irrelevant for these passing days, no momentum gained when the eyes are hidden. Remi believes Meika and I are preparing to leave, when really the only truth is the amount of reconnaissance we've done, searching for the killer in the crowd.

Daniel senses something bigger working its way through the city, but says nothing. His intentions keep bringing home protective gear and supplies necessary for their future. He continues to construct a life worth living for them, assuming we leave at dawn each night.

Sweat pours down my back, a refreshing waterfall in the beating sun. My joints ache, my fingers swelling uncomfortably in tension.

I've come to two conclusions.

One being, the very happy people of this town are under some form of intoxication or spell, preventing them from feeling negative emotions. As explained in Human Psychology, they are very susceptible to the addictions of things which release dopamine into their bloodstream on a controlled basis.

The second is the mentions of The Master and Our Lord. Most frequently spoken by the workers of the city, but still thrown often casually into conversation. The night Daniel and I had gone to meet Calvin and Alice, they'd so freely spoken this.

My stomach rolls in the silence, feeling the tension swell in humid sweeps of air. Nauseous as hell, I swallow back my bile and straighten the tight jacket which threatens to turn into a second skin.

Migrating into I shop, I find Daniel browsing something in the weaponry.

He freezes when he sees me, but relaxes. "What errands are you running?"