29. | Emphasis and Equality |

The first few steps feel like a dream

Light ripples and blurs together, like stepping through an old memory where all your senses are heightened and washed out at the same time.

Lindon needs a good shower.

Or ten.

His golden hair - usually in waves - is a dark soaking mess against his face. Even his honey skin is pale and washed out, eyes tired and dark. Lindon's posture is uneven and arched, every hardened feature now soft and unrecognizable.

Dirty. Lean. Exhausted.

He scans the world with his calculating hazel eyes, lingering a moment at a time on destroyed buildings and islands. The cities you could see were covered in growing coral and surrounded by water. Along the outskirts there was no one, but that didn't mean anything.

If I had to guess, several of the European countries were still filled.

Communities with some kind of structure far superior to those we've found in the smaller counties.

Superior to Kiel's small world.

Lindon senses me but doesn't turn. His focus on hell. Hell on earth.

"How long...?" He asks quietly.

I sniff at the air and sigh. "97 years, 3 days, and 7 hours."

Lindon's back straightens, visibly disturbed. His face contorts in disgust and frustration, gaze honing in on something behind me.

I can only assume Daniel.

My gut somersaults, bile rolling up my throat. I would've never in a million years considered this outcome a possibility.

"Why...?" He whispers to me. "Why? I don't understand..."

"Karma did this... Not by himself, not even remotely. But it was his scheme. I couldn't... I..."

Words are gone.

Nothing but panicked static racing through my head and filling my mind with an awful dread.

"I'm sorry I couldn't-"

"If you apologize to me even once for being detained, there will be a much bigger issue than the company you're keeping," Lindon interrupts.

My mouth goes to swallow but there is nothing but a dry desert inside.

I can't find any more words.

Lindon heaves a large breath and pivots, briskly scooping me up into his arms and holding me tight. So warm, so safe. My heart aches in his arms. Silent tears topple out when I blink.

He grabs the back of my neck and massages gently. "We need to rest. We can reforge the connection tomorrow."

"Why wait?" I mutter bitterly. "You'd prefer death?"