twentythree

"I'm scared."

It was all a blur of green and orange.

"It's fine. They're all nice people, hun."

It was almost sunset. The sky was a mix of pink and orange. He could hear the occasional screeches of crows. As Ms Janet kept driving deeper into the forest the little boy's hand started getting tighter around his doll.

"Do they have kids?"

"Yes, they do." Ms Janet looked at her right to the small six-year-old. Big brown eyes met the wrinkled blue ones. She smiled kindly at the poor boy before moving her eyes back to the road. "You'll have a lot of fun with them."

He nodded before looking outside the window. It was getting darker and he could hear the sound of crickets and things he never heard before.

He saw something brown flash by the forest. Then another one.

"Deers." He recognised. He remembered seeing pictures of them in his animal book. The book he couldn't bring with him but the thought of losing his favourite book didn't make him sad anymore. He got to see the animals in real life now.

"We're close."

He looked in front of him to see a clearing where the thick trees parted and were surrounding a house. The house looked old and scary. He gulped loud enough to make Ms Janet give him a reassuring look.

The car was parked in front of the house and the boy was out on the concrete steps in no time. He wanted to desperately hold Ms Janet's hand but he kept silently waiting for her while she got a small suitcase out from the back of the car.

He clutched her hand as soon as she came beside her. She let out a chuckle before ringing the doorbell.

They both heard the sounds of heavy boots at the same time. Ms Janet felt the little boy's hand sweating.

"Be good, Jack. Everything will be okay." She gave him a sad smile.

The doorknob jiggled and turned.

Ms Janet instantly put a huge smile on her face before greeting the hulking man in front of her.

"Hello."

Things got a shade darker... then blurry. He saw Ms Janet and the man interact but couldn't hear a thing.

They became distorted before suddenly stopping. Their figure moved and swayed then jerked.

Everything got darker.

Smokes were coming out of their body. No more could he see their faces but their eyes. Bright yellow and twitching.

He dropped the doll from his hand. Pushed the hand he was holding away from him. It looked dark and felt like a thick mist of nothing.

Crows were screeching. It felt like millions of them were flying above his head. The sounds were so loud that his ears started ringing but he didn't lookup.

Blurs of brown started surrounding the house.

He could hear the crickets. As if they were in his ears. He squatted down and covered his eyes.

"It's all a dream. It's all a dream. It's all a dream. It's all a dream..." 

He could feel the gazes of the two figures on him but he didn't look.

"...It's all a dream. It's all a dream. It's all... "