eleven

"Can you pass me the salt, dear?"

"Yes, of course."

"Thank you, love."

Steve was watching his mother arrange the table with none other than Daniel himself. His aunt was in the living room joining Cathy and his Dad. He was arranging plates and all while his mom did some last minute touch up with her dishes.

Daniel was good on his feet as soon as he entered the house. He went around greeting, talking and eventually ending up helping Steve's mom with dinner.

It was funny how Daniel was sucking up to his parents so much. Daniel didn't even do half of it to Steve or at all for that matter. That actually made him frown. Did the boy actually not find him serious or did he think Steve wasn't that important? He shook his head to clear out the thought.

Within the next few minutes, everyone was seated at the table filled with delicious warm foods. Daniel was somehow seated to his right while Cathy was opposite to him, just beside his mom.

After a short prayer, foods were being served and eaten.

Steve could clearly see how much his parents adored Daniel. They were smitten by him. And why wouldn't they be? Daniel was being wonderfully nice and extremely polite. He could hold a conversation as serious as politics and as silly as Steve's aunt's dislike for olive. He was always smiling and being a good listener. You need to be a good listener if you want to talk to Steve's parents or any grandparents really.

But even with the happy environment, Steve thought he was the only one who saw the boy's unease. With Daniel's legs pressed up against his, Steve didn't flinch or choke on his food this time.

He noticed that Daniel really didn't realize how he was constantly searching for some kind of physical contact to ease his nerve. Every time Steve was close to Daniel, he'd come close to him like how he did when he was helping Steve's mom by washing some dishes; until their shoulders were touching. Or how he scooted closer to Cathy on the couch while talking to Steve's dad. It was easy to see that it wasn't done out of affection but for comfort.

Steve even tried moving his legs away from Daniel's and the boy didn't even look like he noticed. He just tapped his foot on the floor continuously and kept fidgeting with his fingers on his lap.

Steve felt bad for the boy. He was trying so hard to impress everyone. Not being able to take the boys discomfort, he eventually excused himself and stood. He came back from doing obviously nothing and sat down closer to Daniel this time so their legs were pressed flush against each other. 

This time though, Daniel noticed the contact. Steve wanted to hit his head on the table and kill himself. Of course, he'd notice now of all time. But he didn't move and neither did Daniel.

The boy looked visibly more at ease and less fidgety while Steve was flushed and embarrassed throughout the entire dinner.