fourteen

Cathy was sitting on the couch with a hot mug of coffee and cookies in her hands. She loved her grandmas ginger cookies. It was her favourite thing to eat since she was a little kid.

Her dad was making lunch with her grandma. And Grandpa Miller was conversing with her beloved boyfriend. He was working his natural charm with her grandparents and they were eating it all up. She was glad. And really proud. Cathy loved seeing Daniel so happy and chatty with her family. She was more than apprehensive of introducing Daniel with her family. Her family was her everything and Daniel was a very important person in her life. Although they've been together quite recently, they were best friend's long before they even considered dating each other.

Cathy was happy. She really was. But she knew Daniel long enough to know that he seemed very distant and off.

Daniel even looked really exhausted, like he didn't get enough sleep. But she didn't say anything about it, yet. Sipping her tea she took another bite of her cookie.

There was something else she noticed as well. Her father's head was in another world as well. He had been often caught looking at the window and he stayed in the kitchen since morning. It almost seemed as if he was avoiding something. It confused Cathy to no end but she kept quite about it. Everything could be confronted at the right time.