five

Steve was happily serving dishes and catching up with Cathy. He was so happy, he believed nothing could bring down his mood.

Cathy and her boyfriend were seated opposite to each other at the dining table. Cathy was telling Steve about one of the events she participated in college. Both him and her boyfriend would join in the conversation from time to time but Steve would mostly listen to her rant.

"Here you go. All of your favourites." Steve grinned at his daughter's awestruck face.

"I missed your cooking so much!" Cathy didn't waste a single second before hungrily chomping the food in her mouth.

"It smells really good, Mr wood." The boy complimented.

Steve's cheeks coloured the tiniest bit at the compliment.

"Thank you." He managed.

The boy took a spoonful in his mouth then closed his eyes in bliss.

"This is so good!" He moaned in delight.

Steve flushed even more. Cathy laughed and hugged her dad sideways.

"Dad's not very good with compliments, Daniel." She informed.

Daniel.

Steve then looked at the smiling boy beside him. He thought the name suited him perfectly.

"Well, that's not going to stop me from complimenting him about this masterpiece." Daniel grinned then resumed eating.

Steve started eating with all of them, eventually. Halfway eating, he started coughing and choking on his food. Daniel was immediately passing him a glass full of water and patting his back. Cathy looked at her dad wearily.

"Dad? Are you all right?" Cathy inquired.

"Yeah, y-yeah. I'm fine. Don't worry."

"Are you sure, Mr Wood?" Daniel asked with concern.

Steve couldn't look at the boy beside him. He just awkwardly nodded his head and muttered a meek 'Yes'.

But how could he be alright? How can Daniel ask him that with such a straight face? Did he not realize what he was doing?

Because it was Daniel's thighs pressing into his which surprised him while he was trying to swallow a mouth full of rice. Which of course resulted in him choking on it.

The whole dinner went peacefully after that. With no commotion or choking or whatsoever. But Daniels leg remained pressed flushed against Steve's the entire time.