Twelve

A/N: This is a double update, make sure you read chapter eleven first! Warning: more weirdness ahead!

Sophie

They'd tried. For several weeks, they'd tried to get into Keefe's head. But there was nothing there. Absolutely nothing.

But Sophie wasn't giving up.

She was exhausted, and she knew Fitz was too. And Biana, and Dex, and Tam, and Linh. But she wasn't giving up on Keefe Sencen, and she knew her friends weren't, either.

Approximately a month since they first found Keefe with his mind broken, Sophie and Fitz sat on either side of Keefe's bed, silent.

Sophie opened her mouth, forcing herself to breathe. Fitz stood up and moved his chair so that he was beside her.

"Ready to try again?" he asked, and Sophie nodded.

This time, the only people there were Elwin and Biana. Lord Cassius had stayed in his home since Gisela's Planting. Even though he was a jerk, Sophie couldn't help but feel for him.

Sophie closed her eyes and dove into Keefe's head, expecting emptiness.

And it was. Black, empty, colourless. No emotions, no thoughts, no memories. There was absolutely nothing.

Tired but determined, Sophie sent out an image of her face. Fitz's. All her friends, even Tam.

Nothing.

Silveny. Greyfell. Alden. Della. Grady. Edaline. Kesler. Juline. Elwin.

NOTHING!

Sophie gritted her teeth, and sent out an image of Lord Cassius' crumpled figure, kneeling before his wife's Wanderling.

What did you do that for? Fitz asked her.

Sophie didn't answer.

And a light flickered.

Excitement leapt into Sophie's chest, sending her heart pounding and her fingers tingling; but she couldn't feel it, she was focused on Keefe, only Keefe.

There he sat, on the same stage he did as last time, with the same desk, holding the same quill.

Fitz and Sophie ran to him, flanking him, like before.

There was already a new drawing, this one of Keefe sitting on the floor of a huge, empty room. Brain-Keefe drew a speaking bubble, but all he put inside was an ellipsis. (...)

Keefe! Sophie wanted to hug him, but there was no physical way of doing that. You're back! Keefe, please, promise you won't do that again. No disappearing, okay? I thought...I thought we lost you...

Don't cry, Foster. I'm still in here. I'll always be in here, somewhere.

Promise? Sophie begged him.

I always keep my promises, Foster. That's why I'm here, right?

Sophie's throat tightened. What are you talking about?

Brain-Keefe drew another speech bubble. I'll show you and Fitzer.

Suddenly, the scenery changed, and Sophie and Fitz were watching one of Keefe's memories.

Tears clung to Sophie's long eyelashes as Keefe slowly reached out and took her hands.

"It's okay, Foster," he whispered, his heart pounding at their touching hands. "You'll be okay."

"I just don't understand," Sophie gasped, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I just don't know what to do."

Keefe sighed, releasing one of her hands to lift her chin so that he looked her in the eye.

"I don't know what we're doing either, Foster," he admitted, "but I promise I'll do whatever I can to help."

The scene faded, leaving Brain-Keefe sitting at the desk with his head held low, his quill unmoving.

Fitz was silent; Sophie could practically feel his awkwardness.

This is my fault, Sophie thought, her heart dropping.

NO! Keefe's mental voice burst into her head, loud and insistent and startling. Brain-Keefe and the desk vanished, and all Sophie and Fitz could hear was Keefe's thoughts. FOSTER! This is NOT your fault!

I agree, Sophie; this is absolutely NOT your fault! Fitz added. Please, don't ever, ever think that.

I'm the only one to blame, Keefe finished.

NO! Keefe, Sophie, you can't blame yourselves! I--

It's not your fault either, Fitz! Keefe insisted.

Can we please stop arguing about whose fault it is? Sophie asked quietly. The boys both went silent. Maybe it is my fault, maybe it isn't. Maybe it doesn't matter, because if we blame ourselves, we'll end up broken.

As for you, Keefe... Sophie's thoughts turned to desperation. Come back. Please, come back.

I can't, Foster. His voice was so broken, so sad, Sophie's heart crumbled. Look...

The image of Keefe's parents, one a tree, one a mess, appeared in Keefe's mind.

I shouldn't have shown you that. Sophie felt numb.

No, I needed to know. Keefe was quiet for a moment. You guys have to go. Please, just leave me in here. I'm fine. You'll be fine. You have each other.

KEEFE! Stop it! Stop saying that we don't need you! Fitz was angry now, a desperate kind of anger that made his thoughts tinged with his emotions.

But you don't, Keefe insisted. You have each other. Another image appeared, of Fitz and Sophie standing close to each other, a soft smile on Sophie's face.

Keefe--

Sophie. Please. I'll be here, okay? I'll always be here for you. In here. Somewhere.

And then Sophie and Fitz were thrown out of Keefe's head, back into the Healing Centre, just like last time.