Seven

A/N: Well...I don't think my cliffhanger really affected anyone. Ah well! Might as well update; I want to finish this soon. New POV! I love this character--I hope I managed to represent him well.

Disclaimer: I do not own Keeper of the Lost Cities.

Dex

...Fitz pressed his fingers to Keefe's wrist and neck. Finally he turned to Sophie, tears welling in his teal eyes.

"He's alive."

Dex blew out a breath of relief, feeling the huge weight on his chest loosen. He watched as Sophie crumpled to the ground, sobbing with relief, those brown eyes trained on Keefe. Before Dex could move, Fitz had his arm around Sophie, comforting her.

"But why is he unconscious?" Biana asked, her voice choked with emotion.

"I wish I knew," Fitz answered, running his free hand through his dark hair.

"So do I," Sandor remarked. "But we have to go." He bent down, hefting the broken body of Keefe's mom over his shoulder like a rag doll. After a heartbeat, Ro carefully picked up Keefe and cradled him in her massive arms.

"Let's go," she said, her voice broken.

* * *

Elwin pursed his lips, studying Keefe from all angles. He shook his head in confusion.

"I don't understand," he said, a hint of frustration lacing his tone "All his vitals are fine, he's almost unscathed, and the few minor wounds he has are healing. Why is he still unresponsive?"

"Maybe his mom gave him some sort of sedative?" Sophie suggested. Dex glanced sideways at her. She stood at Keefe's head, staring at his closed eyes like she could wish them open. Dex moved closer, brushing against her gloves to comfort her.

He turned his gaze back to Keefe, a million thoughts whirling through his head. Something was broken inside Keefe. Once upon a time, if Dex had heard that Keefe Sencen was hurt, well...Dex had to admit, he wouldn't care. He hadn't known Keefe very well, and he definitely hadn't been very fond of him.

But now Keefe was one of Dex's closest friends. Something was broken, and Dex couldn't fix it. Why couldn't everything be machines? Technology, that was what Dex understood. He could fix anything! But it seemed like everything he cared about were never machines.

"We can search his memories," Fitz offered. The suggestion was directed at Elwin, but Fitz was looking at Sophie.

Elwin hesitated. Dex could practically see the wheels turning in his head.

"Sure," Elwin finally replied. Sophie and Fitz both breathed out in relief. "...Go for it. Just be careful."

"We will," Sophie promised. She looked at Fitz, then back to Keefe. Sophie slipped off her glove, offering her hand to Fitz. Dex held his breath.

Sophie closed her eyes, her hands hovering over on Keefe's temples as the unconscious elf lay on the cot.

"There's no reason to worry," Fitz breathed in her ear, barely loud enough for Dex to hear. Dex wondered if he was assuring Sophie, or Fitz himself.

Then Sophie and Fitz went into Keefe's head.

Two seconds later, they both staggered back. Fitz stumbled, crashing into a shelf behind him and slowly falling back to the floor. His face was pale, his breathing ragged.

And Sophie...

Those brown eyes were overflowing with tears as Sophie Foster sank to her knees, staring at the unmoving body of Keefe Sencen. Her mouth moved soundlessly, her face pale as snow.

"What?" Biana cried. "What is it?"

Dex's heart pounded as he stood frozen in terror, awaiting Sophie's answer. But she buried her face in her hands, shaking her head a miniscule bit. They all turned to Fitz. Tears welled up in his teal eyes, and he closed his eyes, the water spilling down his cheeks shamelessly.

"Keefe's mind...is broken."

A/N: I'm sorry. Please don't kill me. Hope you enjoyed... ~Jade