Four

Disclaimer: Everything KOTLC belongs to Mrs. Shannon Messenger.

A/N: I have no real plan for the intervals of time between chapters, so...yeah. The next one might come never or tomorrow. Who even knows anymore?

This chapter brings us a new POV! Yay! Anyway, I still have no idea whether anyone is reading the darn thing, so please comment! Oh, and this is a short chapter.

Keefe 

Gisela is the last piece. I need her alive. Gisela is the last piece. I need her alive. 

The words swirled around Keefe's head as he stood beside Fitz and Foster at Everglen. Sophie had just finished telling them what had happened in Alvar Vacker's messed-up head.

Gisela is the last piece.

"Keefe? Are you okay?" Keefe glanced up to see Foster's brown, gold-flecked eyes boring into him. She was worried about him. He nodded.

"Never better." He flashed a smirk. "Better than Alvar, to say the least. What do you think he was doing?"

Sophie's eyebrows bunched together in thought. She tugged out an eyelash.

"I...don't know," she admitted, but Keefe wasn't really listening.

I need her alive.

"Who do you think wrote the letter about Keefe's mom?" Biana wondered, voicing Keefe's own thoughts. Sophie frowned.

"I don't know that, either, and I couldn't recognize the penmanship," she said.

I need her alive.

"I'll bet it's Vespera," Biana growled, unconsciously touching the light scars that marred her face. Keefe's fists curled at the thought of the horrible Empath that had smashed a mirror into Biana's face. He hoped he would never meet the same fate as Vespera.

You won't, he told himself firmly.

Fitz seemed to sense Keefe's unease. He met Keefe's ice-blue eyes with his teal ones.

"It's going to be okay," he told him. Keefe nodded, but he didn't really think so.

Gisela is the last piece.

"Thank you, guys. For sticking with me. I...couldn't ask for more," Foster mumbled, her cheeks flushing deep pink. Keefe's heart wrenched at her sweet sincerity. Linh pulled the brown-eyed elf into a hug, quickly joined by Biana.

"We'll always be there for you, Sophie," Linh promised. Biana and Linh pulled their brothers and Dex into the hug, too.

Keefe sidestepped Biana's arm and wrapped his own around Foster and Fitz.

"The Lord of the Snuggles to the rescue," he told Fitz. Fitz laughed, and everyone else laughed, too. It was a good sound.

But Keefe's laugh wasn't real.

I need her alive.

Alive.

Even as they broke apart and began to disperse to their own homes, Keefe's heart hardened in deep resolve.

"Hey, Lover Boy! Are you coming or what?" Ro shouted.

Keefe glanced up at his bodyguard and shook his head.

"I know what I need to do."

A/N: I hope you liked it. PLEASE COMMENT! I need something to lift my spirits. (Constructive feedback is very spirit-lifting.)  Thanks! ~Jade