one.

santana strutted into her first period math class with her head held high. she wasn't going to take any shit from anyone, she was from lima heights.

the greying teacher looked over to her, "nice of you to join us, but unfortunately you're fifteen minutes late. that's a detention, freshman."

"what?!" santana exclaimed, "but miss, it's the first day!"

"even worse!" the teacher countered, "take a seat, and keep quiet before you get yourself a whole week of detention!"

the brunette rolled her eyes and scanned the room for a empty chair. to her misfortune, there was only one, between two blonde, bitchy looking girls. she sighed and reluctantly sat down in it.

"hi, i'm quinn!" one of the blondes chirped, smiling too wide, "what's your name?"

"shut the fuck up," santana groaned, crossing her arms across her chest.

"hi, shut the fuck up, i'm brittany," the other blonde smiled, sticking her hand out for santana to shake.

"my name isn't shut the fuck up, dumbo, it's santana," she said grumpily, "and get your manky hand out of my face."

quinn snorted, "manky? that's rich coming from you! where do you stay, santana? lima homeless shelter?"

santana whipped her head round and looked quinn in the eyes, "actually, lima heights adjacent, she don't fucking cross me. bitch."

"darling, i don't even want to touch you. or breathe around you. i might catch something," quinn giggled.

"i think she's cool," brittany added, under her breath.

"i am cool," santana whispered.

"no, you're a stuck up bitch with walmart clothes with holes in them," quinn snapped.

"you don't even know me!" santana argued.

"don't be mean, quinn," brittany scolded.

"she was a bitch first," the other blonde grumbled.

"i've been in high school for a hot five minutes and i already want to drop out," santana sighed sarcastically.

"the rest of us have been here for twenty minutes, because we showed up on time," quinn snapped, "and you're fourteen, get a grip."

the rest of the period droned on. quinn got every question right. santana struggled to understand the concept of standard deviation. brittany? she drew unicorns and rainbows all over her new exercise book.

second period arrived eventually, and thankfully for santana, it was spanish. having spanish as her first language really did come in handy with that.

another perk of spanish class was that quinn wasn't in it. thank god for that. unfortunately, brittany was still in spanish. she wasn't as bad as quinn, though, even alright maybe.

santana sat in the back of her new spanish classroom, tapping her pencil on the graffitied table. she giggled at an etched heart containing the words 'terry & will 4 life'. as if. high school relationships were pointless.

in santana's eyes, all relationships were pointless. boys didn't interest her. her friends at middle school had talked about and spin the bottle, peck on the lips, first kisses. she didn't get the hype. then again, she'd never actually been kissed. how could she know what it was like?

perhaps high school would be different. maybe santana would finally feel the sparks everyone seemed to obsess over.

but for now, spanish class.