~ Chapter 1 ~

Miya sat out the back of the classroom awaiting the bell to ring to signal the adjournment of her class. Her hazel eyes swept around the classroom as she notices the excitement on some of her classmates face. She rolled her eyes as she bent forward to talk to her best friends, Kaitlyn and Bianca.

“Hey, you guys wanna come over to my house later?” she asked them.

“Oh! You know it.” Kaitlyn replied, her eyes dancing wildly. “I’ll bring my stereo and Bieber collection!”

Ugh come on Kate! How old are you? 5?” Bianca asked in disgust. “No one cares about Justin Bieber anymore!”

“I don’t care about who doesn’t care about Bieber, all that matters is that I care about him!” Kaitlyn glowered as she defended her favourite music artist.

“Whatever.” Bianca grumbled. “What time do you want us to come Ma?” she grinned at Miya.

“You know I hate when you call me that.” Miya groaned. Every since they watched the music video for 'Hey Mama  by David Guetta' they’ve been calling her ‘Ma’ ever since.

“Yes and that’s why I love calling you that.” Bianca giggled. She shared a look with Kaitlyn before they started singing in unison, “Hey Mama Mama, Hey Mama Mama!”

Miya covered her ears as she tried to tune her friends out. A second later they all burst out laughing.

“Quiet down class!” Their history teacher, Ms. Paige, ordered. “Class will be over soon, but before that I am going to hand out your essay assignment on ‘The Life of Christopher Columbus.’ ”

Ms. Paige went to her desk and took out her students' essay assignments from a black folder. She began issuing them out to the front row first, and then worked her way up to the back row. Miya watched her warily as she dreaded receiving her paper. She knew that she had failed by the look Ms. Paige gave her as she approached her with her essay assignment.

“Miya, you got another F!” The teacher said, obviously disappointed in Miya’s grade.

“Oh.” Miya replied while hastily snatching the paper from her teacher’s hand. She didn’t want her friends to catch a glimpse of her grade.

“Miya!” her teacher cried out in surprised. “This is your third F since the term began!”

“Is it now?” Miya thought. She looked away from her teacher’s intense gaze and stared out the window, watching the movements of the wind as it played with the massive Oak Tree in the center of the field. She wanted her teacher to just leave her alone, but her wish was not granted.

“See me after class.” Her teacher told her as she continued giving out the essay assignments to the other students.

“Hey I got an A+. What did you get Bianca?” Kaitlyn asked her friend excitedly.

“I got an A+ too Kate! I’m so glad we worked together; because I’m positively sure I wouldn’t have gotten this grade. You know I’m not a History student.” Bianca told Kaitlyn.

Just then the bell rang and everyone hustled to exit the classroom. Miya gathered her things and crushed up her essay assignment before tossing it into her bag.

“Whoa Miya, was it that bad?” Kaitlyn asked as she got up from around her desk.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Miya mumbled. “I gotta go see Ms. Paige. Bye.”

“Ok, we’ll catch you outside then.” Kaitlyn said, secretly worried about her friend. She knew that Miya’s grades had been falling lately and she wanted to help her friend. The problem that she had was that Miya did not want any help. She and Bianca exited the classroom talking about what they were going to do later now that school was over.